Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

No walking dead? Last ever season of Top Gear?
Give me movies (there's too many classics to watch for anyone's lifetime by now - anyone with a job and a family that is :D) or, so far as series are concerned, e.g. Ghost In the Shell:Stand Alone Complex or Generation Kill instead, 'ta. Spi0n also gets viewed regularly for a weekly thin slice of chuckles (all 10 to 15 minutes of it :hihi:).

Sky, Virgin and some of the independents have really good drama's.
They most probably do, to people who appreciate them. And as with everything that involves personal taste: each to their own.

The problem I always find with them, is that after a series or two, it gets clear as day the scriptwriters run out of steam and water down any and every snippet of a script/scenario thread they can find to hang further series on, until it all just gets...boring. Lost was the first such (started well, ran out of steam after S02, ended up being an unholy mess of a story), so were Heroes after it (started well, ran out of steam after S02, ended up being an unholy mess of a story), after those I gave up.

These days, on average, I devote an hour or two a day (max, and if any) to any TV watching (that includes gaming, cab or xbox). Unless I make it an occasion, usually at the weekend - in which case, I'd sooner watch a good movie than dross.

I didn't buy a (at the time) high-end large screen, a medium-range surround system (Marantz 7.1 amp + Jamo 7.1 spk) and a medium-range Sony BR player, to put X Factor, I'm a Celeb, Strictly or GoT through it ;) (...though I will confess to bowing down to imperatives of preserving marital harmony, and let Mrs L00b put Downtown through it :blush: - not that I watch it myself of course :D)

Edited by L00b

Here is my 2p. TVs aren't that expensive. It really only gets expensive when to go towards the really big sizes. For me when getting a TV, I work out the optimum viewing distance for a given size TV. You really can get a TV that is too big. So measure out how far you're sitting and get the size of TV to match. So by inference, the people with really expensive TVs are ones that are huge and therefore must also have a very large house to match. So you could be asking, what do people do afford such a large house.

Makes me think of those Bright House type places, they only seem to sell things to people on low incomes / benefits that they have no need for i.e. fancy big screen TVs, games consoles, expensive sofas. Satisfactory versions of these items could be bought for much cheaper second hand or even free, and they will serve their purpose. People are always giving away sofas and other furniture on here. It just seems to be about getting people into debt for appearances' sake.

Their advert shows the example of a Nintendo Wii, the total repayments are over double the RRP of the item at around £400.

Here is my 2p. TVs aren't that expensive. It really only gets expensive when to go towards the really big sizes. For me when getting a TV, I work out the optimum viewing distance for a given size TV. You really can get a TV that is too big. So measure out how far you're sitting and get the size of TV to match. So by inference, the people with really expensive TVs are ones that are huge and therefore must also have a very large house to match. So you could be asking, what do people do afford such a large house.

That was another thread. :hihi:

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 19:53 ----------

Give me movies (there's too many classics to watch for anyone's lifetime by now - anyone with a job and a family that is :D) or, so far as series are concerned, e.g. Ghost In the Shell:Stand Alone Complex or Generation Kill instead, 'ta. Spi0n also gets viewed regularly for a weekly thin slice of chuckles (all 10 to 15 minutes of it :hihi:).

They most probably do, to people who appreciate them. And as with everything that involves personal taste: each to their own.

The problem I always find with them, is that after a series or two, it gets clear as day the scriptwriters run out of steam and water down any and every snippet of a script/scenario thread they can find to hang further series on, until it all just gets...boring. Lost was the first such (started well, ran out of steam after S02, ended up being an unholy mess of a story), so were Heroes after it (started well, ran out of steam after S02, ended up being an unholy mess of a story), after those I gave up.

These days, on average, I devote an hour or two a day (max, and if any) to any TV watching (that includes gaming, cab or xbox). Unless I make it an occasion, usually at the weekend - in which case, I'd sooner watch a good movie than dross.

I didn't buy a (at the time) high-end large screen, a medium-range surround system (Marantz 7.1 amp + Jamo 7.1 spk) and a medium-range Sony BR player, to put X Factor, I'm a Celeb, Strictly or GoT through it ;) (...though I will confess to bowing down to imperatives of preserving marital harmony, and let Mrs L00b put Downtown through it :blush: - not that I watch it myself of course :D)

I think GoT is actually really good, but like you say, each to their own.

I watch less TV than that. It's probably only turned on every other day. For between 30 mins and 2 hrs on those days.

I think that people on low income strive for "the best entertainment for their buck", which appears to be a decent quality television.

Nothing wrong with that aspiration as far as I can see.

Several years ago I worked in peoples houses who had low incomes & had no work for various reasons, and almost invariably, they had a better telly than I had.

I then realised that................... they have little else to occupy their time, so a decent home entertainment system would obviously be top of their list.

Personally I can't fault them for that, consider the alternative?