Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

The wife and me both have good jobs we work long hours,we have given up going out to pubs and clubs as they all seem to be full of <REMOVED>,so we tend to spend most of our down time at home so our TV means a lot to us, we have a 50"inch Philips ambilight TV that we paid nearly 2k for about eight years ago,it still has a brilliant picture and has given trouble free service so far,I used to be a TV repair and sky man in the past and it always amazed me when we would go to fit sky or install a large TV in the house when they had no carpets and wallpaper with half a dozen dogs living in some horrible council house,I always thought some people just seem to get their priorities all wrong..

I really really wanted an ambilight TV! Jealous now. Can we stop these threads now as I end up all envious!

Nothing wrong with that. I`m an ex TV engineer and I`ve still got a CRT TV. It`s a DUAL 29" (though it`s actually a Vestel to those "in the know"). I`m quite happy with it apart from the fact it`s widescreen switching doesn`t work properly. it just stretches the picture... But I can`t be arsed to change it, I`ve never liked LCD type TVs, they're a buggar to get repaired unless it`s a simple fault on the PSU. In fact the advent of LCD TVs was one of the main reasons we stopped mending TVs back in July 2013.

CRTs have far better colour reproduction than plasma/LEDs. You'll kow that yourself if you own one, but many people here won't realize.

I really really wanted an ambilight TV! Jealous now. Can we stop these threads now as I end up all envious!

TOP TIP:

Just get some old Xmas lights hide them behind the telly plug the lot in and VIOLA! your very own Ambilight telly.

:hihi:

CRTs have far better colour reproduction than plasma/LEDs. You'll kow that yourself if you own one, but many people here won't realize.

While I would agree with you when talking about the older lcd TV's or budget sets the latest mid-top range 4 k sets colours are miles better than I ever witnessed on a crt even the black issues of the earlier sets are virtually non existent now and I am pretty fussy about TV pictures!

Am not convinced curved TV are here for the long run.

Like 3d think it has plenty of disadvantages not least viewing angle and hanging issues.

However once Sky bring out their box think 4k will become the norm its already becoming "mainstream" price wise but as I said earlier would be weary of the cheaper ones.

While I would agree with you when talking about the older lcd TV's or budget sets the latest mid-top range 4 k sets colours are miles better than I ever witnessed on a crt even the black issues of the earlier sets are virtually non existent now and I am pretty fussy about TV pictures!

Just out of interest, how much is one of those "mid range" TVs ?

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 14:10 ----------

You can get a 4k smart tv for £375 that is nothing .

£375 is "nothing" ? Talking about my own trade, people buy crappy Bacofoil aerials for £15 rather then a well made aerial for £25. Or, if they`re having the aerial fitted, most will go for the cheapest crappy install rather than pay £50 more for decent stuff. They`re differences of £10 and £40. My conclusion is that to most people £375 is most assuredly not "nothing".

Just out of interest, how much is one of those "mid range" TVs ?
If we're talking 4k sets, then going by RicherSounds, somewhere between LG's entry-level 40 inch 4K (no part number given) at £349, and LG's flagship 77 inch Curved OLED 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart TV (77EC980V) at £25k.

I'd expect "mid-range" to be closer to the £600-£800 mark, than the £12k-ish median between £350 and £25k.

£375 is "nothing" ? Talking about my own trade, people buy crappy Bacofoil aerials for £15 rather then a well made aerial for £25. Or, if they`re having the aerial fitted, most will go for the cheapest crappy install rather than pay £50 more for decent stuff. They`re differences of £10 and £40. My conclusion is that to most people £375 is most assuredly not "nothing".
It is "nothing" for what you get, compared to what TV and features £375 bought you this time last year or the year before.

FWIW I just bought a 32" Samsung LED Full HD unit from RicherSounds for less than £170 last week. It's not quite as good an image quality as my 3- or 4-years-old 47" LG (full-)LED Full HD unit (though it's not that far)...but then that £170 is about 10% to 15% of the LG's price (which is itself probably worth beans now, since TVs seem to depreciate faster than anything these days, even cars and PCs!)

TV pricing has pretty much gone through the floor in the last two years, in case you missed it.

Sounds like you should change (upgrade) your target market, btw ;):D

Edited by L00b

We live out in the sticks and found that TV reception faded if you were recording on another device. It would sometimes drop the signal completely.

We fitted an aerial booster and splitter and now run everything on seperate cables rather than a cable passing through each device. The picture quality improved dramatically. We can now watch HD whilst recording up to 3 other programmes without any loss of quality.