Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

Depends how strong your signal is really I guess. Round here most people run with about two feet of wire in the back of the TV and just don't bother with an external antenna at all... Of course then you get those that have a gold plated antenna (like that makes any difference) and re use twenty year old water filled coax....

There was a great deal of hilarity when someone decided that they wanted signals from a rather distant mast and put up an external wideband preamp. That didn't cope with my transmissions especially well and the amount the poor guy had spent on it was astronomical.

"Your Transmissions"?

In that context, "decent" can be related to that particular issue as well: what do you mean by "decent"? Image properties and quality? Interconnectivity? Build and/or panel and/or components quality? What? If image properties and quality, again the normal/average viewing distance will be quite important to assessing whether it is "decent" or not.

I worked in the TV trade 10 years ago, and all the guys thought CRT TVs had a better picture. Hopefully things have improved, but if your screen is 40"+, you are bound to be able to see faults.

I worked in the TV trade 10 years ago, and all the guys thought CRT TVs had a better picture. Hopefully things have improved, but if your screen is 40"+, you are bound to be able to see faults.
The only thing CRTs still do better in this day and age, is scanlines on vintage videogames ;) (though expensive "scanline generators" are available for use on LCD panels, if that's your thing)

After that, faults on a modern 40"+ screen are going to depend on two things: panel quality and the signal fed to it.

A low quality panel may have slight imperfections, e.g. low quality imaging components with a dead pixel or two, or some dust caught under the screen causing a slight shadow, or the like.

Even a top quality panel may struggle to render a poor SD signal feed in minty fresh quality.

I feed my 47" with a 1080p Blu-Ray (a good one, not the execrable excuse that was e.g. the first Harry Potter movie outing on BR ;)) and I would defy you to see any fault during the entire movie.

No faults either with any of the Freeview channels (HD or SD), unless there is a really (really-really) bad snow storm going (...but then, see above: signal quality).

I couldn't see any faults whatsoever in the 50"-or-so curved OLED LG (or was it Samsung) that I watched in RicherSounds last week, either. With a 4k high contrast, high-colour demonstration feed, such faults would have been as glaringly obvious as a nose on a face.

I agree with you on your first point, but not your second, which seems contradictory. I personally don`t like to see a big TV in my lounge, to me even our 29inch is too big, but I accept that as my eyes get older I need a set that big !

You get used to it. If the TV is turned off, then no matter what size it is, it blends into the background anyway.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 09:17 ----------

Depends how strong your signal is really I guess. Round here most people run with about two feet of wire in the back of the TV and just don't bother with an external antenna at all... Of course then you get those that have a gold plated antenna (like that makes any difference) and re use twenty year old water filled coax....

There was a great deal of hilarity when someone decided that they wanted signals from a rather distant mast and put up an external wideband preamp. That didn't cope with my transmissions especially well and the amount the poor guy had spent on it was astronomical.

Antenna. How quaint.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 09:21 ----------

Faults?

CRT could never do HD though could it. (PC Monitors could, but commercial CRT TV was never launched with HD capability due to the cost).

So the picture from an HD source is going to look significantly better on an HD LCD than on even the best CRT TV, which simply doesn't have the resolution or the detail.

Anyone that thinks a CRT looks better has probably never seen a true HD source (never mind talking about 4k) or really needs to get to Specsavers.

Since we were talking about TVs I just measured my old set to compare to a new one.

It has a large bezel, so a modern 55" is almost identical in size to the 47" old one. I'm thinking one of these;

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/55PUS8601_12/8600-series-4k-uhd-razor-slim-tv-powered-by-androidtm-with-ambilight-4-sided-and-perfect-pixel-ultra-hd/specifications

or

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/suhd-nano-crystal-tvs/UE55JS9000TXXU

If you watch Sports,films ,nature programmes ect then a high quality large screen tv with an hd feed and a good sound system is a world apart from a small screen tv sat in the corner.

This. Particularly with any of the recent HD Attenborough documentaries.

CRT could never do HD though could it. (PC Monitors could, but commercial CRT TV was never launched with HD capability due to the cost).

So the picture from an HD source is going to look significantly better on an HD LCD than on even the best CRT TV, which simply doesn't have the resolution or the detail.

It could ;) I had one for less than a year, it could do 1080i through it's component input, I think it was Samsung but I had it for such a short time I can't remember.

Personally, I'm waiting for OLED screens to drop to a sensible price :) Had my plasma professionally calibrated so I need to wait a couple of years before I can justify replacing it.