Owners of expensive televisions, what do they do for a living?

CRT could never do HD though could it. (PC Monitors could, but commercial CRT TV was never launched with HD capability due to the cost).

So the picture from an HD source is going to look significantly better on an HD LCD than on even the best CRT TV, which simply doesn't have the resolution or the detail.

Anyone that thinks a CRT looks better has probably never seen a true HD source (never mind talking about 4k) or really needs to get to Specsavers.

Whilst entirely true insofar as HD signals are concerned, if you should have to display an RGB SD feed (typically from vintage equipment, be it a games console or a Laserdisc player), you really need to see a Sony PVM or the like (professional broadcast equipment) in action.

Still puts most flat panels to shame in terms of image quality. Not for the faint-hearted though, as this is not your turnkey "plug the SCART in and go" consumer equipment, got to get familiar with BNC connectors and whatnot.

The BBC offloaded a few pallets' worth of them in a huge clear-out auction last year, they went for beans (well, relatively speaking, and compared to their 4- or 5-figure cost when new).

I reckon another 5 to 10 years and anyone will really struggle to find spare top-level CRTs (B&O, Sony PVMs, Hantarex/Nanao/Tosh) in the wild.

EDIT: 1080p is "Full" HD. "HD Ready" is 720p/1080i (IIRC). "HD" itself is anything higher than 480 (US) or 576 (Europe) SD res.

Edited by L00b

I think these days most people don't say or label things "Full HD", they just say HD, or more specifically 1080p or 4k.

I try to avoid SD signals if I can, they look absolutely dreadful.

My wife insists on playing goldeneye on the old N64. It makes my eyes water and gives me a headache.

I suggest anyone who thinks crt is still better than the latest flatscreen technology goes down to Richer sounds or Currys and have a look at the latest 4k sets with a quality feed showing,they are a million miles away from the original poor quality lcd tv's and they are hard to fault to most people even on the large screens.

You do need an hd feed though sd just looks awful.

Antenna. How quaint.

No ones found any better way of launching radio waves into the ether though...

Anyone that thinks a CRT looks better has probably never seen a true HD source (never mind talking about 4k) or really needs to get to Specsavers.

Now all you need is the discussion between plasma and CRT to kick off....:-)

I think these days most people don't say or label things "Full HD", they just say HD, or more specifically 1080p or 4k.

My wife insists on playing goldeneye on the old N64. It makes my eyes water and gives me a headache.

That depends on :

1 the size of the screen

2 the distance away from it that you`re sitting

3 the quality of your eye sight

4 if you need glasses that they`re the right prescription.....

I agree that many SD programmes, particularly those suffering greater compression (it does vary) look crap [especially on shots requiring high data rates] on either a large screen or if you`re up close to a smaller screen.

Why not introduce her to the HD Xbox version? ;)

Kudos for the preference, though. Wish I could get Mrs L00b off puzzlers à la Puzzle Bobble and genteel Nintendo-esque titles involving Yoshi and Co. and into FPS and racers... :D

Edited by L00b

I don't play console games, I have a top end gaming PC.

We did try the Wii remake of goldeneye, but it's not the same.

---------- Post added 24-12-2015 at 13:03 ----------

That depends on :

1 the size of the screen

2 the distance away from it that you`re sitting

3 the quality of your eye sight

4 if you need glasses that they`re the right prescription.....

I agree that many SD programmes, particularly those suffering greater compression (it does vary) look crap [especially on shots requiring high data rates] on either a large screen or if you`re up close to a smaller screen.

Nah, SD just looks terrible when put next to HD.

Unless you're so blind that you can barely see it I suppose.

1080p is HD. 1080i was HD Ready or some such nonsense.

You're talking labels applied by companies to make them easier to understand by the general public rather than resolutions. 1080i you are seeing 1920x1080.

Your wife has good taste! :thumbsup: