Drivers and Driving

I now live in the South of England in Hertfordshire, one of the main things down here is Idiots driving with Fog lights on when There is no FOG no reduced visibility, in Day light and just seemingly any time, it is blinding at night, either behind you in your mirrors or come towards you.

Do you have similar Issues in South Yorkshire/ Sheffield?

I now live in the South of England in Hertfordshire, one of the main things down here is Idiots driving with Fog lights on when There is no FOG no reduced visibility, in Day light and just seemingly any time, it is blinding at night, either behind you in your mirrors or come towards you.

I reckon the fog has to be fairly think before rear fogs serve any useful purpose. If following drivers can see normal rear lights at a fair (ie safe) distance, then there's no need for rear fogs, which only distract following drivers, especially at closer distances, and make it harder to see brake lights.

Another bugbear is the increasing number of drivers who drive in the dark with their daytime running lights only, and so no rear lighting at all.

The traffic police a quite zealous down there. If its a bit misty and you don't have your fog lights on they have you. Also, maybe there's a lot of litigation following crashes where fog lights being on or not is a factor. So people are playing it safe I suppose.

It seems down here it is the front Fog lights only, in fact every forward facing light they can, on cars like the Nissan Juke it is basically a wall of light traveling towards you as they have the three bank of lights, I really think they do it to look cool (How I do not know!) but it is very distracting and blinding while driving at night.

Eater Sundae - I have seen people doing that down here I don't think they know how dangerous it is, or just do not think at all! lots of cycles down here with no lights on at night so you barely see them then have to brake like crazy or swerve to miss them on unlit winding roads.

---------- Post added 18-12-2015 at 14:43 ----------

Alan Hartley - I guess, but I think it is also a fine and points for improper use of Fog lights, and the police are not that keen down here at all, see lots of plod cars about (Traffic Plods) but never Charging any one, more keen in London but I would never drive in London its a nightmare.

The highway code has this to say about fog lights:

Rule 226

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

Rule 236

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

From that you would assume unless visibility is under 100m then you should not have a fog light on.

And people who don`t use their hand brakes at night, thus blinding the person behind with all their brake lights.....

The traffic police a quite zealous down there. If its a bit misty and you don't have your fog lights on they have you. Also, maybe there's a lot of litigation following crashes where fog lights being on or not is a factor. So people are playing it safe I suppose.

They can't "have you" for not using fogs in mist. Visibility needs to be <100 metres to require the use of fogs.

It's actually an offense to use your fogs when visibility is not "Seriously Reduced" which wouldn't include mist.

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.

They can't "have you" for not using fogs in mist. Visibility needs to be <100 metres to require the use of fogs.

It's actually an offense to use your fogs when visibility is not "Seriously Reduced" which wouldn't include mist.

Absolutely - One of my bugbears this.

I'm more aggravated by misaligned beams (either "cheats" as I call them, with one beam out of alignment and basically amounting to a permanent full beam, or drivers who don't bother to adjust their lights' azimuth when their car is heavily loaded). Oh, and aftermarket bulbs of questionable legality.

Personally I can't see the point of front fogs in daytime, foggy or not: they're not brighter than normal headlights, so you don't get to see an oncoming car's front fogs before you see its normal headlights, and their additional lighting of the road in ambient daylight is questionable at best.

If I happen to be stuck behind a driver who has forgotten to switch off their rear fog light (in clear condition), they get a first and second warning (flash of full beam). Then, if they still don't cop on, full beams permanently on - until they switch it off (unless I can overtake them safely, early on or before the perma-full-beam). Bite me.

Edited by L00b