Drivers and Driving

a lot of people I have talked to, say they drive with the lights on whenever, (foggy or not) because it makes them easier to spot, so if there's an accident (someone pulls out on them or something) they have more plausible deniability!

Thats fair enough, dipped beams do not dazzle oncoming traffic and tail lights are no issue.

However if their beam direction is off they will be driving around dazzling anyone they come cross, and that is illegal.

How many people do you know that check their beam pattern............ever??????

Drivers that have bike racks on their cars that block the vehicles rear lights. Probably just laziness as I have seen bike racks with number plate boards on them which are much safer. There are so many ignorant idiots on the roads that don't give a poop about others, and I agree with the brake lights when stopped. Why not just use the handbrake? I can see why there is so much road rage today.

Well, whilst we're on the nighttime driving bugbears:

1. When stopped in traffic, once there is a vehicle stationary behind you... Take your foot off the brake and apply the handbrake.

2. When stopped by a red light at a traffic light junction, turn your indicator off until the light goes green and you being to move forwards... there's no need to be dazzling the person behind with a blinking orange light.

Both covered by Rule 114

Drivers that have bike racks on their cars that block the vehicles rear lights. Probably just laziness as I have seen bike racks with number plate boards on them which are much safer. There are so many ignorant idiots on the roads that don't give a poop about others, and I agree with the brake lights when stopped. Why not just use the handbrake? I can see why there is so much road rage today.

If you have stop/start function for saving petrol - the engine comes back on if you take your foot off the brake. That will be A reason some people dont use the handbrake.

1. When stopped in traffic, once there is a vehicle stationary behind you... Take your foot off the brake and apply the handbrake.

2. When stopped by a red light at a traffic light junction, turn your indicator off until the light goes green and you being to move forwards... there's no need to be dazzling the person behind with a blinking orange light.

Both covered by Rule 114

I assume that is your own opinion, and not from the highway code?

Surely indicators do not dazzle and do help cyclists and bikers know where you are going?

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 11:07 ----------

Thats fair enough, dipped beams do not dazzle oncoming traffic and tail lights are no issue.

But having headlights on when there is no reduced visibility breaks the highway code and could be used against them if involved in an accident.

It is distracting when people break the rules, if the weather is a little dull, you might not see that cyclist because others have their headlights on.

I agree with El Cid, bright lights hide dangers as well as illuminate them. It is only a flick of a switch even I can do, to use lighting appropriately.

I think the only way to solve that issue, is to encourage the use of side lights in dull conditions.