Drivers and Driving

I'm a cyclist, and I don't agree.

The reason I would buy bright lights (which even then are less bright than car headlights) is because some drivers are pretty stupid, and the more chance they see you, the better.

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 14:53 ----------

Methinks your country lanes of reference might be wider and/or with less sharp corners than the ones Ron is on about ;)

Passing one or two oncoming or same direction-travelling cyclists (trailing one another) on these is never an issue, with a lane and a half road width to play with, leaving a good half lane lateral distance.

Coming up to two oncoming cyclists abreast means stopping to a crawl or less, rather than merely decelerating for a safe passing speed, like you would for an oncoming car.

Following two cyclists riding abreast, who decide to stay abreast (for whatever reasons best known to themselves - and I've had some like these a few time), means you're stuck behind them for a while.

For the observant and courteous driver, it's not a question of safety (self or the cyclists), it's more frequently a question of common courtesy.

But hey-ho. Mostly redundant problem at this time of year :twisted::D

On a very narrow road they should move out of abreast, whenever a car needs to pass.

Which isn't to say that they should be in single file all the time though.

I'd suggest that finding it harder to see things at night is just because it's dark. Unless there's more to it than "harder to see"...

Who said cyclists were harder to see? Did I miss that?

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 14:32 ----------

You realise that riding two abreast is safer for them?

And if you're driving well (as you say you prefer well driven cars) then it won't alter your behaviour at all.

After all, when overtaking cyclists, give them as much room as you would a car. Which means you shouldn't be squeezing past, you should be in the other carriageway entirely.

And in addition to that, it's quicker to pass two cyclists abreast than 2 cyclists in line. Same lane change required, but only 6 feet of bike + safety at both ends to pass, instead of 2 * 6 feet of bike, and the gap in between, making 16 feet, plus safety...

Surely ignorance of basics like this is a demonstration that you're not a good driver though?

It is in many circumstances not safer and indeed very stupid. Making other road users do things they should not.

So then how much room should they be given ?

It is in many circumstances not safer and indeed very stupid. Making other road users do things they should not.

For example, what does it "make" you do that you shouldn't?

So then how much room should they be given ?

Snailyboy already answered this indirectly.

And I already answered in it my earlier post.

After all, when overtaking cyclists, give them as much room as you would a car.

Was that difficult to understand?

It's what it tells you in the highway code, as a good driver you should be familiar with it.

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 15:11 ----------

Talk me through this?

By cycling two abreast they literally take over the mind of the car driver and MAKE them do things they shouldn't...

Presumably this being, overtaking dangerously...

Perhaps if all cyclists had holographic projectors that disguised them as tractors then Ron would understand the point?

On a very narrow road they should move out of abreast, whenever a car needs to pass.
I've emboldened the operative word in that sentence ;)

In my experience, some do, some don't.

Those who do, show common courtesy and all is well :)

Those who don't...might get a bit buffeted :twisted:

BTW, that was the original context of Ron's post ("country roads" = very narrow roads...that's how I understood it anyway, whence my reply, particularly first line of same).

Which isn't to say that they should be in single file all the time though.
I haven't disputed that :)

Yeah, cyclists are like people. Some are polite, some aren't.

Buffeting of course could result in them dying. I don't normally put people at risk of death just for being impolite.

I know you haven't, I was just iterating it so it was clear.

Buffeting of course could result in them dying.
So does waking up :P

I don't normally put people at risk of death just for being impolite.
I don't either...but I can't help it if they'd sooner die than let courtesy and good sense prime over principle.

I'll confess to not being a slow or particularly patient driver: there's only so much courtesy I'm going to extend as a matter of goodwill and good faith (because I'm nice and considerate), and only so long I'm willing to stay stuck behind some pillock riding high on his principles and willing to die for the cause that is his right of way and to ride abreast.

I'll even do only a very brief and 'polite' peep after a lengthy while (3 to 5 mins, road visibility and conditions -dependent).

But it's not as if it's an artic or tractor with no choice about its size and speed.

After that, if they clearly don't intend to shift from abreast (and I'll gloss on the various hand signalling I have at time witnessed, for having the temerity of issuing a single 'meek' peep by way of friendly suggestion that they do) then as soon as there's an opening with a good 5 to 10 inches to spare either side, I'm gone. Bite me, booo-yaaa.

Edited by L00b