When is enough, enough?

He used belief in christian culture as an excuse and identified himself as such, extremists use islamic beliefs. You could also use the example of the bible not supporting homosexuality....and all the crimes off back of God's word.

Is that reason to be prejudiced against all Christians or muslims or religion?

It's certainly a reason to say that Christianity should take some responsibility for the matter. In this case is has inspired extremist violence, and it's hardly the first time. If there were no Christianity, it's not at all clear that it would have happened.

It certainly calls for Christian leaders and christians as a whole to loudly and repeatedly condemn it.

You said the words he had written down. This could mean he had written them (past tense) or he instructed someone else to write them, neither of which (as far as I am aware), is true.

As I understand it his companions memorised sections of his revelations and only after his death did a formal compilation of his 'revelation' begin.

The verses in the Quran used to justify terrorism are taken vastly out of context by those idiots who call themselves preachers to justify their own agenda (and the idiots who use it to justify anti Islamic behaviour). There is plenty to criticize in the Quran without isolating and taking things out of context, I personally have no time for such imbeciles regardless of which side of the fence they sit on.

I agree, all interpretation.

And let's not forget we, the west, haven't helped matters by invading foreign countries. We've made extremist recruitment much easier!

Did Brevik follow an example that Jesus set, which verse that Christians claim to be Gods word did Brevik obey when he murdered those people?

Deuteronomy 17:2-7

There are many more, but that is justification in the 'words' of God. It's not the words of Jesus, but that's irrelevant as Christians take the whole Bible as law.

I agree, all interpretation.

And let's not forget we, the west, haven't helped matters by invading foreign countries. We've made extremist recruitment much easier!

There's a balance there. In general religious fundamentalists remain so until they're dead. We need to help kill them. Sometimes that involves military action on foreign soil.

Sometimes it's a challenge to kill them faster than they are recruited, but since they get recruited whether you take action or not, sitting by and doing nothing is not an option.

The thousands of muslims going about their business in uk...Some of them might be annoying from time to time, some commit crimes, but no more so than any other group. They don't drink so are not beating people up in street or being sick everywhere.

What's the fundemental issue with that form of Islam?

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 12:15 ----------

He used belief in christian culture as an excuse and identified himself as such, extremists use islamic beliefs. You could also use the example of the bible not supporting homosexuality....and all the crimes off back of God's word.

Is that reason to be prejudiced against all Christians or muslims or religion?

From what I can see what he did was very un-Christian, I'm not a Christian and I don't know of anything within Christianity that can be used to justify what he did, I am happy to be corrected. ISIS on the other hand are very Islamic and what they do is easily justified by the Koran and the actions of Muhammad.

It's certainly a reason to say that Christianity should take some responsibility for the matter. In this case is has inspired extremist violence, and it's hardly the first time. If there were no Christianity, it's not at all clear that it would have happened.

It certainly calls for Christian leaders and christians as a whole to loudly and repeatedly condemn it.

Some christians have. Some muslim leaders and communities have come out too.

The twitter tag not in my name etc. It's plain to see many moderate muslims condemn violence. Maybe some are angry at the West though...just like many white christians were angry at bombing Iraq and Syria.

Deuteronomy 17:2-7

There are many more, but that is justification in the 'words' of God. It's not the words of Jesus, but that's irrelevant as Christians take the whole Bible as law.

Christians believe that the new testament changed the covenant between men and God, and they should follow the examples set by Jesus.

There's a balance there. In general religious fundamentalists remain so until they're dead. We need to help kill them. Sometimes that involves military action on foreign soil.

Sometimes it's a challenge to kill them faster than they are recruited, but since they get recruited whether you take action or not, sitting by and doing nothing is not an option.

And many white British people condemn those actions too.

Who decides in which context they should be taken?

You've two choices, out of context or in context, both party's will claim to be right. All I will say s good luck finding a middle eastern scholar (to avoid confusion, someone who studies the middle east - not someone from there) who thinks the Quran commands people to kill innocent unbelievers.

In every - EVERY case I've seen, from either 'side' of the debate that uses this justification the verses have, on every single occasion been taken either historically or philosophically out of context.

That in itself is a bit irrelevant though because there are still nutters running around to justify it killing people. At the end of the day it's up to each individual to check the facts for themselves. It's not easy and it's not straightforward and that's why it is so prone to misinterpretation.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 12:31 ----------

Christians believe that the new testament changed the covenant between men and God, and they should follow the examples set by Jesus.

SOME Christians believe this, not all (and those that do would be incorrect anyway as Jesus himself said that he didn't come to change the law but to fulfil it (which he didn't do, but that's a different story))

From what I can see what he did was very un-Christian, I'm not a Christian and I don't know of anything within Christianity that can be used to justify what he did, I am happy to be corrected. ISIS on the other hand are very Islamic and what they do is easily justified by the Koran and the actions of Muhammad.

Lol it was unchristian! But you can take passages from any religious book and interpret how you like.

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

?