Killingley closes. The end of an era.

several gov from around the world have just had a big meeting in paris about reducing the global footprint by around 2%.we are constantly being told we have to cut down on our emissions and even have laws around how we do this. we have seen other countries governments subsidising their steelworks (china) and forcing the market to drop the price of steel. we see india/Pakistan opening 3 new coal mines a day (looks like they stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world):roll:. then we have to pay carbon credits at something like £35 a ton. do all these other over polluting countries pay the same as us ? like I said in another thread it does seem that we do pay for the air we breathe :suspect:

several gov from around the world have just had a big meeting in paris about reducing the global footprint by around 2%.we are constantly being told we have to cut down on our emissions and even have laws around how we do this. we have seen other countries governments subsidising their steelworks (china) and forcing the market to drop the price of steel. we see india/Pakistan opening 3 new coal mines a day (looks like they stuck 2 fingers up to the rest of the world):roll:. then we have to pay carbon credits at something like £35 a ton. do all these other over polluting countries pay the same as us ? like I said in another thread it does seem that we do pay for the air we breathe :suspect:

It doesn't seem 5 minutes since the activists were holding up coal trains that were trying to get to Ferry Bridge Power Station. It's probably the same bunch who are now moaning that they managed to price coal out of the market.

Ultimately I suspect that nuclear power will be the only way to provide the bulk of the worlds demand for power.

The major issue is how to build safe reactors and dispose of the dangerous by products and contaminations in a safe way.

The UK was once at the forefront of nuclear technology but is now happy to hand this over to the French and Chinese industries.

I am sad to see the last pit closed and the end of mining when there is so much coal still there.I only hope that one day in the future we may have the need to go back and get it again.I still believe that we cannot function as a planet entirely on renewables it is too unreliable.Nuclear is risky especially when terrorism is so rife not to mention human error and natural disasters and the problem of disposing of waste.If we let all the other countries use up their coal reserves we may have the chance to sell it to them in the future at a ridiculous price.If we vote to come out of the EU we may have to go back and get it.I for one will be voting to leave the EU and will be labelled a nationalist but to be honest I do put this country first and why not.Nationalism is alive and well in Scotland so why not here.Whatever happened to the clean coal and carbon capture that we were told about?.

I am sad to see the last pit closed and the end of mining when there is so much coal still there.I only hope that one day in the future we may have the need to go back and get it again.I still believe that we cannot function as a planet entirely on renewables it is too unreliable.Nuclear is risky especially when terrorism is so rife not to mention human error and natural disasters and the problem of disposing of waste.If we let all the other countries use up their coal reserves we may have the chance to sell it to them in the future at a ridiculous price.If we vote to come out of the EU we may have to go back and get it.I for one will be voting to leave the EU and will be labelled a nationalist but to be honest I do put this country first and why not.Nationalism is alive and well in Scotland so why not here.Whatever happened to the clean coal and carbon capture that we were told about?.

Don't you want clean air? Don't you want your kids to have clean air? We shouldn't be using fossil fuels at all for anything in 2015. Digging great holes in the ground and causing further ecological damage is daft.

Don't you want clean air? Don't you want your kids to have clean air? We shouldn't be using fossil fuels at all for anything in 2015. Digging great holes in the ground and causing further ecological damage is daft.

I want the lights to come on and everybody to be able to keep warm,i do not have any kids by the way.Smothering the country in turbines and solar panels is not the answer to our long term power requirements.The population is rising all the time and new homes are going to be built all requiring reliable power and at a price affordable to everybody.If we are going to go fully renewable then it should be nationalised and not sold to us overpriced.The fact that we have paid landowners more money to have turbines on their land than the electric they have produced is ridiculous and we cannot keep doing this.

---------- Post added 20-12-2015 at 23:10 ----------

This is the reason why I do not like wind turbines and other renewables.At least mining gave the working class a living,renewables just take money away from the working class to give to the rich few.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/feb/28/windfarms-risk-free-millions-for-landowners

A lot of the cheaper coal is open cast / strip mining, which is cheaper to mine, and where it is deep mined, labour is cheap and health and safety poor in most mines...

We don't use coal like we used to because of the green house gasses.. ( unlike China, USA and India where it doesn't seem to pollute their air) :)

I come from a ex mining family so I could rant about this topic for hours.. but I'll let you off as it's Christmas.. :partyhat: