Why isn't this classed as a terrorist attack?

It was very common for any white person with an Irish accent to be suspected as a terrorist if they acted suspiciously on the British mainland during the 70's and 80's

No it wasn't. However it was common for white IRA terrorists to be called terrorists, which is what we are discussing.

If the suspect was Muslim looking the news headlines would be screaming terrorist whereas when it's a non Muslim looking suspect the news it quite muted.

Do you and others on this thread apart from Gamston not get the point I'm making or are you that dim that you don't get it? :rolleyes:

You keep claiming this but could you answer the questions in post #20?

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 19:45 ----------

Detective Chief Inspector Jill Johnston, from Preston Police, said: “We are treating this as a criminal investigation and while the motivation for this incident remains unclear at this stage, we believe this device has been left there deliberately and did have the potential to cause serious injury if it had exploded "

It was a terrorist attack and should be treated as one . I agree with the OP's sentiments .

Go and read post 19 by Gamston.....

I read it, he quoted the police saying the motivation was unknown.

Go and read post #20 by RootsBooster...

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 19:46 ----------

You don't have to be an expert in the law to practice common sense . This thread in my opinion is more about public perception than whatever the suspect was trying to achieve .

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 18:28 ----------

The Police said the device had "the potential to cause serious injury if he had exploded " Arson can and has been used as a weapon by terrorists in the past . Terrorists have used very crude devices in the past such as letter bombs which have murdered individuals and left others with life changing injuries .

You don't appear to understand what terrorism is.

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 19:45 ----------

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 19:46 ----------

You don't appear to understand what terrorism is.

I have as much , if not more understanding what terrorism is as anyone else who has posted on this thread .

The issue here is the Police never made comments such as " We are not ruling out terrorism " at the early stages of the investigation while at the same time said they said the device had "the potential to cause serious injury if he had exploded "

I believe in the current climate, if the suspect had a stereotype Muslim appearance the Police , the local and national media as well as SKY News would have used the word terrorism somewhere in their comments .

I have as much , if not more understanding what terrorism is as anyone else who has posted on this thread .

The issue here is the Police never made comments such as " We are not ruling out terrorism " at the early stages of the investigation while at the same time said they said the device had "the potential to cause serious injury if he had exploded "

I believe in the current climate, if the suspect had a stereotype Muslim appearance the Police , the local and national media as well as SKY News would have used the word terrorism somewhere in their comments .

Did he have it strapped to his body?? You obviously do not understand what terrorism is if you thought this was terrorism,it was not.

No it wasn't. However it was common for white IRA terrorists to be called terrorists, which is what we are discussing.

I agree it was common for white IRA terrorists to be called terrorists . Also a dark black liquid with a white head is still common to be called Guinness .

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 20:33 ----------

Did he have it strapped to his body?? You obviously do not understand what terrorism is if you thought this was terrorism,it was not.

No worries, if you don't understand what the thread is about .

I agree it was common for white IRA terrorists to be called terrorists . Also a dark black liquid with a white head is still common to be called Guinness .

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 20:33 ----------

No worries, if you don't understand what the thread is about .

Fudging doesn't make you any less wrong.

A man plants a bomb in a Preston shopping centre and the police and media don't class it as a terrorist attack yet if the device had gone off it would have caused terror/injury= http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/preston-fishergate-shopping-centre-bomb-commentators-claim-attempt-to-detonate-device-should-be-a6777976.html

If this had been a Muslm looking suspect the media would have been screaming " Muslim terrorist attack ".

The police say the wanted man wanted to cause serious injury....

Meanwhile the vilification of Muslims carrys on= http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/video-muslim-schoolgirl-branded-a-terrorist-after-paris-attacks-speaks-out-against-islamophobia-34298716.html

Please be careful while out Christmas shopping, it's not only the Muslim looking people you need to be wary of it........

Whilst I agree with you it should have been classed as a terrorist attack. I am confused why someone like yourself would refer to Muslim looking. As you of all people should know Islam is a religion not a race of people and there are caucasian black and,asian and middle eastern Muslims.

You've just stated the obvious because most UK terrorism is commited by Muslims, brown ones at that. Profiling isn't the same as stereotyping. Profiling has kept Israeli airline passengers safe from being blown up since Munich 72.

It an uncomfortable truth that it is a reasonably safe bet that UK terrorism involves brown Muslims. The police and press act accordingly but I don't see them habitually accusing all brown Muslims of being terrorists though. If anything they go to great lengths to avoid upsetting some overly sensitive souls.

Whilst I agree with you it should have been classed as a terrorist attack. I am confused why someone like yourself would refer to Muslim looking. As you of all people should know Islam is a religion not a race of people and there are caucasian black and,asian and middle eastern Muslims.

Setting fire to a bog roll in a bin isnt terrorism, its arson , which is why the offender has been charged with that offence.

By Muslim looking I mean showing signs of being a Muslim for eg beard, clothing etc.

---------- Post added 19-12-2015 at 21:52 ----------

Interesting article I just came across making a similar point as mine and worth a read to maybe understand where I'm coming from= http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/muslims-are-not-terrorist_b_8718000.html