Paying in a cheque question? Any bank tellers here?

I don't often use cheques so unsure on this one

We received a cheque today that's to Mr & Mrs Thomas (Me and the missis)

However we don't have a joint account so it's either pay into Mr Thomas or Mrs Thomas's account

Is that an issue or would we have to be there together or sign a letter to say it's ok in either one of our accounts? Or worse get a new cheque issued?

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows

You cannot bank a cheque where two people are the payee if you do not have a joint account. Think about it. 50% of that money is intended for a party that would not have access to it.

You will have to ask the issuer to send a new cheque to either of you individually.

You cannot bank a cheque where two people are the payee if you do not have a joint account. Think about it. 50% of that money is intended for a party that would not have access to it.

You will have to ask the issuer to send a new cheque to either of you individually.

Depends what you mean by cannot. Notwithstanding its to 2 people, then if the bank satisfies itself you have the consent of both people they can accept it as evidence by loads of examples of newlymarrieds being given joint cheques. Some banks will accept them and some will not. So he wont have to ask for a reissue of the bank is willing to exercise its discretion and accept the cheque.

I don think the OP was too bothered about the technicalities and was more interested on the result.

Depends what you mean by cannot. Notwithstanding its to 2 people, then if the bank satisfies itself you have the consent of both people they can accept it as evidence by loads of examples of newlymarrieds being given joint cheques. Some banks will accept them and some will not. So he wont have to ask for a reissue of the bank is willing to exercise its discretion and accept the cheque.

I don think the OP was too bothered about the technicalities and was more interested on the result.

How can the bank cannot guarantee the consent of both parties?

I for one was a newlywed in the exact same situation and my bank, Santander explained the reasons to me as did Barclays to my wife.