What, in your opinion, constitutes a terror attack?

In a recent thread (now closed) two people were making claims that an incident should have been treated as a terrorist attack, even though it didn't meet the official criteria given for one.

What do people actually think a terrorist attack is?

I tend to go with this:

Terrorism:

The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

...which would mean you'd need to know the perpetrator's motive before you could treat it as a terrorist attack.

Edited by RootsBooster

In a recent thread (now closed) two people were making claims that an incident should have been treated as a terrorist attack, even though it didn't meet the official criteria given for one.

I tend to go with this:

...which would mean you'd need to know the perpetrator's motive before you could treat it as a terrorist attack.

Good thread starter. The nutter in Preston was a nutter, no more. In my opinion, the two who shot all those people in San bernardino were also nutters. Just because you watch a few videos doesn't make you a terrorist. It just makes you a nutter in the same way the guy at the family planning clinic was a nutter.

I tend to go with this:

It's a shame people have to google words when they lack the intellect to make judgements from information and common sense stored in their own minds .

Forgive me for playing you at your own game ............

"In its broadest sense, terrorism is any act designed to cause terror"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

QED

It's a shame people have to google words when they lack the intellect to make judgements from information and common sense stored in their own minds .

QED

So in that case, blackmail & bullying (amongst other things) can be terrorism?

QED

So in that case, blackmail & bullying (amongst other things) can be terrorism?

I like how you Googled the word.

QED

So if I jump out in front of a train and cause terror to the driver am I a terrorist? Or likely a dead terrorist considering?

The intent to cause terror........

So you'd need to know the perpetrator's intent first, before you could call it terrorism?

---------- Post added 20-12-2015 at 16:30 ----------

So if I jump out in front of a train and cause terror to the driver am I a terrorist? Or likely a dead terrorist considering?

Don't forget horror film directors.

In my opinion, the two who shot all those people in San bernardino were also nutters. Just because you watch a few videos doesn't make you a terrorist. It just makes you a nutter in the same way the guy at the family planning clinic was a nutter.

The thing is, they weren't treated as terrorists (even though they were Muslim and caused terror) until it was established that they were supporters of IS.

Some people are claiming that any Muslim (looking?) person comitting such acts would automatically be treated as a terrorist.

Same goes for the aeroplane toilet bomber, even though it was a hoax, it wasn't referred to as a terror act.