What, in your opinion, constitutes a terror attack?

It isn't about having it both ways, it is about the legal definition of terminology.

All I have read suggests that the Department of Justice consider this to be a hate crime. Do you have a link, from a credible source, that I can read to prove me wrong please?

Sure. Hopefully Reuters is considered credible enough for you:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-charleston-idUSKBN0OZ2AD20150619

Sure. Hopefully Reuters is considered credible enough for you:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-justice-charleston-idUSKBN0OZ2AD20150619

Under the hate crime charges that have been brought over and above thr murder charges Roof faces the federal death penalty. As an example of white men/non muslims not being brought to book for terrorist acts its not a great one. It's also pretty US specific, KKK terrorism against black people was fought by the creation of federal level hate crime legislation in order to hold to account those who might get away with it in certain states if left to local authorities and the penalties are suitably harsh, up to death. It is likely that they were the best fit for a clean conviction for Roof, not that there was a grand conspiracy not to yse terrorism legislation.

Under the hate crime charges that have been brought over and above thr murder charges Roof faces the federal death penalty. As an example of white men/non muslims not being brought to book for terrorist acts its not a great one. It's also pretty US specific, KKK terrorism against black people was fought by the creation of federal level hate crime legislation in order to hold to account those who might get away with it in certain states if left to local authorities and the penalties are suitably harsh, up to death. It is likely that they were the best fit for a clean conviction for Roof, not that there was a grand conspiracy not to yse terrorism legislation.

That wasn't my point at all. I was saying that it was hardly reported as a terror attack and that's exactly what the Google link showed.

Ok, here's one. A Google search for Charleston shooting:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=charleston+shooting&meta=&gws_rd=ssl

Do you notice which word is lacking?

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 08:47 ----------

I can find many more but I'm currently on a work laptop and don't really want to go searching for child abuse on Google!

No, which oen is lacking. feel free to probide specific artcles which support your point.

The first news article in the Guardian includes

Roof was indicted on 33 federal charges, including several hate crimes charges, for what US attorney general Loretta Lynch said was a months-long plot to kill black parishioners.

“Racially motivated violence such as this is the original domestic terrorism,” Lynch said when announcing the charges.

The thing that immediately comes to mind is the fact it was racially motivated and hate crime is what it is.

Busy at moment but will come back to see if we can clairfy what you are on about in the thread as you seem to eb the only one capable of a rational discussion. You will just need to back it up.

Will have to trawl through your posts, unless ofc youd like to provide a summary of the exact points you are trying to make.

No, which oen is lacking. feel free to probide specific artcles which support your point.

The first news article in the Guardian includes

The thing that immediately comes to mind is the fact it was racially motivated and hate crime is what it is.

Busy at moment but will come back to see if we can clairfy what you are on about in the thread as you seem to eb the only one capable of a rational discussion. You will just need to back it up.

Will have to trawl through your posts, unless ofc youd like to provide a summary of the exact points you are trying to make.

The tl;dr is:

- Charleston shooting investigated as a terror attack by the DoJ

- Not a single article's headline mentions the word terrorism, although it is in some of the article's main text

- Terror attacks involving Muslims have the words 'Muslim' and 'terrorist' in nearly every headline

- This appears to confirm that the media have different reporting standards when it comes to Muslim terrorists and non-muslim ones.

The tl;dr is:

- Charleston shooting investigated as a terror attack by the DoJ

- Not a single article's headline mentions the word terrorism, although it is in some of the article's main text

- Terror attacks involving Muslims have the words 'Muslim' and 'terrorist' in nearly every headline

- This appears to confirm that the media have different reporting standards when it comes to Muslim terrorists and non-muslim ones.

Can you give some examples of this?

Can you give some examples of this?

Ones involving the words terror yes:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=paris+attacks&meta=&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&hl=en-GB&q=charlie+hebdo+attacks

Nearly every headline there includes the word 'terror' or 'terrorist'. However, none actually say Muslim, so I am wrong and have clearly been reading way too many Daily Mail headlines so apologies for that. There is still a difference in the headlines though and that is obvious to see, but I have managed to undermine my own point by adding about Muslims because SF being what it is, everyone will now jump on that bit rather than the 'terror' part. Balls.

Ones involving the words terror yes:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=paris+attacks&meta=&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&hl=en-GB&q=charlie+hebdo+attacks

Nearly every headline there includes the word 'terror' or 'terrorist'. However, none actually say Muslim, so I am wrong and have clearly been reading way too many Daily Mail headlines so apologies for that. There is still a difference in the headlines though and that is obvious to see, but I have managed to undermine my own point by adding about Muslims because SF being what it is, everyone will now jump on that bit rather than the 'terror' part. Balls.

*Me* jumps on balls, or something :help:

The thing is, there are also non-muslim attacks that have (quite rightly) been classed as terror attacks in the media, as has been shown.

I agree that if the Charlston attack is being treated by the police as terrorism the media should also refer to it as such. Then again, most media references to San Bernardino are still calling it a shooting rather than a terror attack.

It could be that they don't want to increase public anxiety and paranoia any more than it already is in the USA by mentioning terrorism.

Domestically (in the UK) I really can't see any difference in the way the police or media are treating attacks from different colours of skin.