Essex Council considering introducing a 'falling fee'

Here's a consequence of austerity:

Essex County Council are considering introducing a 'falling fee' for its elderly residents. As far as I can make out, elderly people who fall over, and can't get up, will be charged to be picked up if they fall down at home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/18/pensioners-charged-falling-fee-tendring-district-council_n_8837776.html

A sensible policy in response to growing demand, or a sure sign that as a country we are losing our humanity?

The way in which it is portrayed is a lie by the Left. It's been in the usual rags to much howling and gnashing of teeth and probably a lot of self indulgent rightoues puffery too.

I know of at least three Labour councils that have had the same style of charge for decades but the right wing opposition have better manners that to try and score cheap political points off it. Shame that the Left don't have the same sense of integrity.

The way in which it is portrayed is a lie by the Left. It's been in the usual rags to much howling and gnashing of teeth and probably a lot of self indulgent rightoues puffery too.

I know of at least three Labour councils that have had the same style of charge for decades but the right wing opposition have better manners that to try and score cheap political points off it. Shame that the Left don't have the same sense of integrity.

You're the one who brought party politics into it, not me! It doesn't matter the political stripe of the party that brought it in, it's still wrong.

The left wing Daily Telegraph reported on it too http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/12058296/Pensioners-to-be-charged-26-lifting-fee-for-falling-over-at-home.html :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 10:54 ----------

Now who's bringing party politics into it :roll:

The Torygraph is right wing... The Graundiad is left wing...

---------- Post added 21-12-2015 at 10:58 ----------

It's nothing of the kind but I see that the lying Left can't resist telling a porkie pie.

It's nothing of what kind? What did the OP suggest that it was?

The way it was written in the article I saw made it look like infirm people would be charged a £26 call out fee if they needed helping up by the alarm company, every time. Just frightening people unnecessarily, to sell a few papers or harvest a few clicks.

The proposal seems to be for an annual fee of around £25 added to the existing cost. instead of having to call out the paramedic service, presumably to cover the extra cost of training and paying more skilled staff? So 50p a week on top of the monthly fee. Not so scary now?

The way it was written in the article I saw made it look like infirm people would be charged a £26 call out fee if they needed helping up by the alarm company, every time. Just frightening people unnecessarily, to sell a few papers or harvest a few clicks.

The proposal seems to be for an annual fee of around £25 added to the existing cost. instead of having to call out the paramedic service, presumably to cover the extra cost of training and paying more skilled staff? So 50p a week on top of the monthly fee. Not so scary now?

Well actually yes. It's just as bad. Why should someone have to pay for falling over? Please answer that.