Essex Council considering introducing a 'falling fee'

But why should people have to pay for this service? It would be utterly unacceptable to leave them there if they cannot pay wouldn't it?

If they weren't paying for the phone line help service, they'd have to phone for an ambulance...

It's entirely acceptable for people to pay for services that they want, but which aren't standard.

There is no national standard "pick you up" service...

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 06:10 ----------

Labour currently just seem to want to whine none stop about anything. Doesnt matter if it's of any relevance whatsover, they just want to cause problems. That's not the mark of a responsible Opposition but then again, I guess they dont want to be.

Are you confusing a media outlet with a political party?

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 06:11 ----------

It's not even pay per pick. It's a one off a year charge less than a pound a week. But dressed up to make it look like charge per fall.

Lying left etc etc...

It wasn't dressed up at all, the details were clearly in the article.

Whatever happened to neighbours..?
They're waiting their turn for a pick up :P

Whatever happened to "family", more like.

This is but one of the many socio-economic consequences of families becoming ever more dispersed, and of individuals becoming ever more self-centred.

All of this was never an issue up until a mere few decades ago, when 3 generations frequently lived in the same house.

If they weren't paying for the phone line help service, they'd have to phone for an ambulance...

It's entirely acceptable for people to pay for services that they want, but which aren't standard.

There is no national standard "pick you up" service...

So elderly person who is v poor falls over. They don't have this cover. They phone an ambulance. Waste of ambulance. Agreed? So why don't we all just pay an extra £1 a year on our council tax and increase the number of social workers who can respond to these types of requests. Help to stand up IS a standard service in my book.

I totally disagree with any care home fees or home help fees for the elderly if they have been assessed as being required to maintain a life with dignity. We have an aging population and growing costs. Many people will be unable to afford any of these services. Inheritance tax could be increased to partially cover the costs of providing that service once the person has died meaning they won't have to worry at all about the costs while alive and neither will their family. We need to stop expecting our parents to hand over hundred of thousands of pounds of property to us when they die. Change this culture and suddenly it all works.

So elderly person who is v poor falls over. They don't have this cover. They phone an ambulance. Waste of ambulance. Agreed? So why don't we all just pay an extra £1 a year on our council tax and increase the number of social workers who can respond to these types of requests. Help to stand up IS a standard service in my book.

I totally disagree with any care home fees or home help fees for the elderly if they have been assessed as being required to maintain a life with dignity. We have an aging population and growing costs. Many people will be unable to afford any of these services. Inheritance tax could be increased to partially cover the costs of providing that service once the person has died meaning they won't have to worry at all about the costs while alive and neither will their family. We need to stop expecting our parents to hand over hundred of thousands of pounds of property to us when they die. Change this culture and suddenly it all works.

We ARE paying for it as you suggest through council tax.

Most penshioners using these services will get Attendance Allowance. That's money from the council to spend how they like.

They get to choose how to spend it so they can tailor their care to their exact needs. One of the consequences is that things have to be priced and that this service costs a flat fee of about £30 a year.

That's it. Nothing more. Been going on for at least 25 years to my knowledge in many places. It's a total non event - until some muckracker decides to dress it up as a "falling fee" and slap "tory cuts" on it despite it being nothing new and not a "cut" at all.

---------- Post added 22-12-2015 at 09:48 ----------

Aw diddums.

It's an additional charge levied because of Tory cuts..

No it's not as well you know. But I'd not expect you to admit that.

They're waiting their turn for a pick up :P

Whatever happened to "family", more like.

This is but one of the many socio-economic consequences of families becoming ever more dispersed, and of individuals becoming ever more self-centred.

All of this was never an issue up until a mere few decades ago, when 3 generations frequently lived in the same house.

A few tens of decades?

Sheffield Council charge £1 a week for a fall alarm but they don't charge for a worker to call round within the hour if the fall alarm goes off. They put their basic weekly prices up by about a fifth recently too.

Swings and roundabouts.

And the outrage from the right wing about this is where?

Of course. It's nothing to be outraged about - despite being more expensive and of less use than the one in Essex.... :roll:

We ARE paying for it as you suggest through council tax.

Most penshioners using these services will get Attendance Allowance. That's money from the council to spend how they like.

They get to choose how to spend it so they can tailor their care to their exact needs. One of the consequences is that things have to be priced and that this service costs a flat fee of about £30 a year.

That's it. Nothing more. Been going on for at least 25 years to my knowledge in many places. It's a total non event - until some muckracker decides to dress it up as a "falling fee" and slap "tory cuts" on it despite it being nothing new and not a "cut" at all.

Ok, so effectively it's like a catalogue of services and the pensioner decides which they need up to a certain value? I will admit I didn't know that. So Obelix are you saying ABSOLUTELY nothing has changed here? If so, I shall stand down with my apologies...see my thread on lefties being naïve!

Sheffield Council charge for everything as an extra. I made a mistake though as SCC charges £1.20 pw (£62.40 pa) extra for the fall alarm. It's no better or worse, it's just that different providers package things in different ways depending on what the customer wants.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/caresupport/adult/support-available/citywidealarm/charges.html

Charges

The City Wide Care Alarms service, including installation, monitoring, our support worker response and maintenance, is just £4.93 per week.

For the battery only operated unit, (where there is no convenient power socket) the price is £5.45 per week.

(For alarm calls using a landline, there will also be the additional cost of the phone call from the telephone provider, each time the alarm is used.)

For the service using a mobile phone signal (where no landline is present) the price is £5.50 per week and customers will be expected to supply their own sim card.

Prices for additional alarms

Alarm Price per week

Bed sensor £1.30

Bed sensor with lamp activation £1.65

Bogus caller/panic button £0.55

Carbon Monoxide detector £0.75

Carer Assist £1

Chair occupancy sensor £1.20

Epilepsy sensor £1.60

Fall detector £1.20

Flashing beacon £0.95

Flashing beacon with vibrating pillow pad £1