Essex Council considering introducing a 'falling fee'

I haven't personally been alive for a hundred years or over.

I assumed we were talking statistically, not anecdotally though.

I did not suggest that you were, merely that you may have been born to such a family and/or know of others, as I -and seemingly most of the people I know, in this country and others- do. Whence the "for shame" (you may have missed out).

I am very happy to leave the statistical analysis to prove or disprove my (essentially non-)point to you :)

The inescapable fact remains that Parkinsons, Dementia and most other debilitating ailments and conditions with an effect on the elderly's sense of balance (besides other symptoms) have long, long existed and such elderly were long, long cared for by their descendants, lately hand-in-hand with the NHS...until socio-economic changes caused geographical fragmentation of families to become the norm (it's really not so long ago as "tens of decades"), whence care homes and care services to develop to their current levels, with still more development needed as the glut of baby boomers ages progressively on.

Anecdotally, I certainly know of several people about my age (early 40s), with parents in need of constant or semi-constant care (the kind I alluded to in earlier posts, and the topic of this particular thread) who clearly don't give a rat's bum about it/their parent (no, not even ensuring that social/care services are aware and have the matter in hand). Not until you "shove their nose in it" like you would with a pup. I very much doubt they're alone in exhibiting such levels of selfishness. That's the second aspect of the issue.

Edited by L00b

Ok, so effectively it's like a catalogue of services and the pensioner decides which they need up to a certain value? I will admit I didn't know that. So Obelix are you saying ABSOLUTELY nothing has changed here? If so, I shall stand down with my apologies...see my thread on lefties being naïve!

I wouldn't know if anything had changed in Tendring councils offering - just that similar arrangements have been in place since my gran went into sheltered housing and no one seemed to think any worse of them (apart from perhaps excessive costs) until now.

I did not suggest that you were, merely that you may have been born to such a family and/or know of others, as I -and seemingly most of the people I know, in this country and others- do. Whence the "for shame" (you may have missed out).

I am very happy to leave the statistical analysis to prove or disprove my (essentially non-)point to you :)

The inescapable fact remains that Parkinsons, Dementia and most other debilitating ailments and conditions with an effect on the elderly's sense of balance (besides other symptoms) have long, long existed and such elderly were long, long cared for by their descendants, lately hand-in-hand with the NHS...until socio-economic changes caused geographical fragmentation of families to become the norm (it's really not so long ago as "tens of decades"), whence care homes and care services to develop to their current levels, with still more development needed as the glut of baby boomers ages progressively on.

Anecdotally, I certainly know of several people about my age (early 40s), with parents in need of constant or semi-constant care (the kind I alluded to in earlier posts, and the topic of this particular thread) who clearly don't give a rat's bum about it/their parent (no, not even ensuring that social/care services are aware and have the matter in hand). Not until you "shove their nose in it" like you would with a pup. I very much doubt they're alone in exhibiting such levels of selfishness. That's the second aspect of the issue.

I agree with the general point.

Families often lived much closer together in the recent past. I was only disagreeing about multi generational houses having been common in the last few decades.

I can't personally think of a single example of 3 generations living under the same roof that I know of, even historically.

Living in the same village, just down the street, that I have knowledge of anecdotally and it's definitely become less common.

Google seems to think that it's actually on the rise again though;

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2652740/Generations-family-pooling-buy-home.html

Edit - I found a graph...

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/03/18/the-return-of-the-multi-generational-family-household/

Would have been better as a % though. (and it's US, but better than nothing).

2008 49 million out of 305 million = 16%

1970 26 out of 200 = 13%

1940 32 out of 135 = 23%

Lowest level was in 1970, been rising against since then.

Given the shape of the graph we can probably assume it was higher before 1940.

Part of the recent rise though appears to be down to adult children that leave later in age than they would have done in the 80's... Which doesn't really fit the model we were talking about.

Edited by Cyclone

They're waiting their turn for a pick up :P

Whatever happened to "family", more like.

This is but one of the many socio-economic consequences of families becoming ever more dispersed, and of individuals becoming ever more self-centred.

All of this was never an issue up until a mere few decades ago, when 3 generations frequently lived in the same house.

Families may be many miles away, neighbours are literally on the doorstep.

Many of the things old people need only take a second, like a lightbulb might need changing, or a letter posting. It's not difficult.

Of course the family should, and do help, but they can't be there all the time. You're right about the unintended consequences of socio-economic change. However a good neighbour is worth their weight in gold to an old person.