Whisky-adding water or not, single malts and where to store etc.

I was just reading on another forum about single malt whisky. One or two commented that adding ice to a single malt is like adding water, and that it just spoils a good whisky. Where to store whisky was also discussed-out in the garage or in the fridge etc.:huh:

A few suggestions were mentioned:

Asda, Glenfiddich 12 year old single malt £25.

12 yr old Highland Park for about £25

Although I will drink whisky occasionally, I know very little. Only ever tried blended. Anyone an authority on single malts? I`d like to try some bottom end like above.

You can get whisky stones which go in the freezer, pop them in your single malt and you get the benefit of the cold without the dilution.

I tried these and they were a bit crap.

---------- Post added 23-12-2015 at 10:12 ----------

I was just reading on another forum about single malt whisky. One or two commented that adding ice to a single malt is like adding water, and that it just spoils a good whisky. Where to store whisky was also discussed-out in the garage or in the fridge etc.:huh:

Although I will drink whisky occasionally, I know very little. Only ever tried blended. Anyone an authority on single malts? I`d like to try some bottom end like above.

I find the best thing to do is hold your glass of whiskey at 90 degrees over the sink until empty, then refill with spiced rum and add a few ice cubes.

You should always add water to whisky. If you drink it neat the strength of the alcohol will overpower the palate and you won't taste much of anything after the first mouthful. Also I'd not drink it cold - cool perhaps but cold dulls the flavour as well.

If you are looking for whisky to try then stay away from the heavily peated malts like Islay and so forth until you are more accustomed to drinking them. If you are moving up from a blended malt - and there is nothing wrong with a blend despite what some whisky snobs will have you believe then I'd recommend you try Jura, Glenmorangie and Old Pulteney. You've already listed Glenfidditch which is a bit "boring" but an excellent starting place - you will not go wrong trying that. Highland Park is another ideal starter whisky as well with a bit more interest that Glenfidditch. If you have been drinking blends, then I'd recommend getting either a bottle of Highland Park or Jura as your next one.

Oh and drop the "bottom end" idea - there is no "scale" of whisky from bottom to top. The best whisky is the one that YOU like at that moment in time. Tell the whisky snobs to get stuffed! If I'm sitting in a campsite after a hike by a warm fire I'll probably be drinking a really peaty one like Laproiag. If I'm having an aperitif before a meal, it'll be a Speyside malt probably. There's far too much mystique about in the whisky world to bother with.

Edited by Obelix

My favourite is Clontarf 1014 Single Malt. Its one of the few Irish malts available and comes from a proper distillery, not a chemical plant. It is also very reasonable if you can find it.

Irish whiskey doesn't have the peat smoke of scotch. It is a lot easier to enjoy in company without offending a few.

Go for a Jura Malt - excellent as previously mentioned.

Here are some notes from a Malt Website

The addition of water and the dropping of the alcohol strength creates a cooling effect on the tongue and makes us more receptive to salty and fruity tastes, rather than sweet and spicy.

But how much water should you add? Much depends on your taste, but if you're looking to analyse what's in the glass as well as enjoy it, a couple of drops will do. But be careful what kind of water you use, as different water types deliver different flavours.

Unlike water, ice locks in aroma and suppresses flavour as it brings the temperature down considerably. It does, however, reduce the burn and, let's be honest, the clinking of the ice cubes does sound quite cool

You can get whisky stones which go in the freezer, pop them in your single malt and you get the benefit of the cold without the dilution.

They're rubbish (I've tried them).

Some whisky SHOULD have water added anyway, it helps to bring out the flavour. And anything cask strength should always have water added.

Personally, I'd say do whatever you prefer. It's you that's drinking it, so don't let someone else tell you you're doing it wrong!

They're rubbish (I've tried them).

Some whisky SHOULD have water added anyway, it helps to bring out the flavour. And anything cask strength should always have water added.

Personally, I'd say do whatever you prefer. It's you that's drinking it, so don't let someone else tell you you're doing it wrong!

I'll bear that in mind. I visited a few distilleries in the Highlands and they all suggested adding a little water, but made it clear that it's down to personal taste.