Whisky-adding water or not, single malts and where to store etc.

My uncle had an 'episode' (heart problem) and had to have a serious talk with his Dr re: his whisky intake. He was delighted with the advice = keep drinking but dilute the whisky 4 parts water to 1 part whisky. The Dr insisted that the flavour of the whisky would not be lost. He was correct, imo.

My other advice is to try a Highland whisky (Highland Park) and then a Lowland (Auchentoshan) its really easy to tell the difference and you can refine your taste once you have the basic taste differences. I found that one of those charts with the four tastes at each end of axis to be helpful.

ps - Auchentoshan (Oc-en-tosh-an) a real delicate taste and one for, dare I say it, the ladies. I like it.

You are both very wrong. Whisky has been drunk with ice/water since it was first popularised. The Scots drink it with ice or water, if you go to a proper pub in the highlands/speyside/islands you will automatically get water or ice offered with your whisky.

Source: Being in Scotland 6 weeks a year and love whisky.

What is it with you!...dogmatic to a tee! I am very wrong for suggesting water with whisky then I am being told that a proper pub in Scotland will offer water with whisky!

I will go back to my Scottish heritage and say I have very rarely seen the Scots take ice with whisky,only the younger end who have been abroad!

What the hell! drink it how you like it, surely costs enough!

To start with, do everything (apart from adding any flavoured mixer) - try lots of different malts from lots of different areas (my personal favourites are Laphroaig and bunnahabhain from Islay and Talisker from Skye), try the with varying amounts of water and none at all and the same with ice

Eventually you will find what is right for you. There is no one right way whatever anyone tries to tell you - enjoy the experimentation and enjoy the whiskies

What is it with you!...dogmatic to a tee! I am very wrong for suggesting water with whisky then I am being told that a proper pub in Scotland will offer water with whisky!

I will go back to my Scottish heritage and say I have very rarely seen the Scots take ice with whisky,only the younger end who have been abroad!

What the hell! drink it how you like it, surely costs enough!

You do realise you just changed your stance? I might be dogmatic, but considering you changed your mind means that your OP might have been even more so :)

My favourite is Clontarf 1014 Single Malt. Its one of the few Irish malts available and comes from a proper distillery, not a chemical plant. It is also very reasonable if you can find it.

Currently on offer at Aldi, for around £20 per bottle.

Also keep an eye on Morrisons as they do have the odd good offer on Whisky (without an e)

Edited by peak4

You do realise you just changed your stance? I might be dogmatic, but considering you changed your mind means that your OP might have been even more so :)

.....????, any way ,'tis the season of goodwill,so merry Christmas!

Edited by mossdog