Whisky-adding water or not, single malts and where to store etc.

I usually add a little (few drops) of water to a malt.

Anyone coming to the house who asks for whisky and a mixer gets a blend not a malt.

Bourbons usually get a couple of cubes of ice.

I'd suggest a visit to http://www.weedram.co.uk/ @ Bakewell.

Be careful though, it's easy to get out of hand with a collection, mine's quite reasonable at the moment, with a selection of 43 Whiskys, Whiskeys and Bourbons.

Personal favourites are:-

Whisky

Bunnahabain

Laphroaig Triplewood

Whiskey

Tullamore Dew

Jameson

Bourbon

Makers mark

Knob Creek

Adding ice to Whisky or Cognac is idiotic.........possibly acceptable in Ibiza in the nightclubs

but silly nevertheless!

As already discussed water should be added to whisky before consumption for the reasons stated,but this should be filtered,room temperature preferably! I always add this to my favourite tipple "Ardbeg". but I appreciate that peaty undertones are not to everyones taste!

I've stopped collecting and started to run my collection down. I find that whisky invariably gives me a bad hangover, whereas gin doesn't.

I probably have about 10 whisky's left, and about 20 gins in the cupboard now.

Taking a long time to run down though, as I rarely drink it.

Adding ice to Whisky or Cognac is idiotic.........possibly acceptable in Ibiza in the nightclubs

but silly nevertheless!

As already discussed water should be added to whisky before consumption for the reasons stated,but this should be filtered,room temperature preferably! I always add this to my favourite tipple "Ardbeg". but I appreciate that peaty undertones are not to everyones taste!

Diluting Scotch with owt ruins it. The only way to drink Whiskey is neat , cant beat it.

You are both very wrong. Whisky has been drunk with ice/water since it was first popularised. The Scots drink it with ice or water, if you go to a proper pub in the highlands/speyside/islands you will automatically get water or ice offered with your whisky.

Source: Being in Scotland 6 weeks a year and love whisky.

They're rubbish (I've tried them).

Some whisky SHOULD have water added anyway, it helps to bring out the flavour. And anything cask strength should always have water added.

Personally, I'd say do whatever you prefer. It's you that's drinking it, so don't let someone else tell you you're doing it wrong!

Last line says it all, well said, drink it as YOU like it.

Angel1.

Im a bit of a whiskey connoisseur...:) and I think single malt should be kept at room temperature and siped neat..blended whisky is OK to dilute with whatever your taste is.I like blended with a bit of canada dry and lump of ice Grants whiskey is my favorite blended Glenfiddich is my fav single malt I also like Lagavulin single malt that has distinctive peaty taste.