Harlequin pub,Nursery Street

TORONTONY

[quote=TORONTONY;1124

I don't know your dad's name ,but could have met him. I remember the licensee and his wife were both involved in the steel business before they took the pub. I believe his name was John, can't recall his wife's name but she did work for a fabrication company I had dealings with. Ask your Dad if he knows Terry Holmes and his younger brother David and if he remembers Kenny Manton getting killed at Shepcote Lane about 1977/8. Have a good Christmas.:)

ToronTony

My Dad died in 1980 aged 50 but if you were in the erecting game in the 70s then there's a high chance he would have known you, he was a popular bloke in Pitsmoor and was never out of work.

I remember his last employer was a Scottish guy who lived near Whiston called Angus (Can't quite remember his second name)

I don't know your dad's name ,but could have met him. I remember the licensee and his wife were both involved in the steel business before they took the pub. I believe his name was John, can't recall his wife's name but she did work for a fabrication company I had dealings with. Ask your Dad if he knows Terry Holmes and his younger brother David and if he remembers Kenny Manton getting killed at Shepcote Lane about 1977/8. Have a good Christmas.:)

Sounds like that could have been John Thompson, Johns father, Jim Thompson was landlord Victoria Hotel (Round House) at Heeley Green, I remember John moving out of the Manchester Hotel and taking a pub in the Greasbrough, Rotherham area.

• 9 months later...
Sounds like that could have been John Thompson, Johns father, Jim Thompson was landlord Victoria Hotel (Round House) at Heeley Green, I remember John moving out of the Manchester Hotel and taking a pub in the Greasbrough, Rotherham area.

I think but could be wrong, that John Thompson left to take over a Fish and Chip shop in Greasbrough. I started going in the 'Manny' during his last months there (1982?). Peter and Janet Flynn took it over after.

---------- Post added 08-10-2016 at 21:26 ----------

I think but could be wrong, that John Thompson left to take over a Fish and Chip shop in Greasbrough. I started going in the 'Manny' during his last months there (1982?). Peter and Janet Flynn took it over after.

For the geographical record. The 'old' Manchester Hotel was-and still is- on the corner of Nursery Street and Spitalfields. The 'old' Harlequin was at the junction of Johnson Street and Stanley Street.

Edited by stpetre
add