Boxing Day Council Parking Charges

It dosnt mater if they are or arnt. The council could lead the way to attract more people into the city centre to spend their money instead of going to Meadowhall, but as usual the shortsightedness of the council is there to see.

Why should they ? If businesses like John Lewis who would benefit from the footfall don't offer free parking then why should the council

Just thought I'd post this for those who may be parking in Sheffield tomorrow, Boxing day.

It's not being classed as a bank holiday, so make sure to pay n display as normal. Mon 28th is being substituted as the Bank Holiday.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking.html

Bit late now but bus gates and lanes have also be enforced today, I've noticed today drivers going through the bus gate at hillsbrouogh :(

Why should they ? If businesses like John Lewis who would benefit from the footfall don't offer free parking then why should the council

John Lewis weren't even open today.

Some councils (Newcastle for one) only offer free parking on Xmas day and not on any other public holiday, so SCC do far more than others.

The idea seems to be that parking charges discourage visitors to the city centre. But I bet that if you did an audit of parking spaces you wouldn't find a pattern of disuse.

It would be interesting to compare traffic flows on free parking bank holidays and charged-parking boxing days. On bank holidays I suppose you have many fewer people working in town, and shopping competes with other leisure activities.

Meadowhall only works because all the parking spaces are in a ring around the centre. From there, you still have to walk to the shops and the centre itself is completely pedestrianised - a fact never noticed.

Merely introducing free parking would not actually replicate Meadowhall's advantages for the motorist. To do that you would have to eliminate all vehicles from the centre of Sheffield (which is not completely pedestrianised still), put a roof on it, and bulldoze a ring around the city centre for mass car parking. Which is clearly not going to happen.

The reason the city centre struggles is not because people have to pay a few quid for parking.