How come Tesco Express stores can open Easter Sunday?

In 1994 the Government introduced the Sunday Trading Act, which enabled large shops (over 280 sq m/3, 000 square foot) to open up the purpose of serving retail customers for up to 6 continual hours on Sunday, between 10am and 6pm in England and Wales. Small shops (under 280 sq m) have no restrictions on opening.

I presume, then, that there are special regulations which cover Easter Sunday, because there isn't a thing open around here. No Tesco, B&Q etc.

Meadowhall's probably been open today... How do they get around the thing about big shops not being allowed to open?

Meadowhall doesn't open. Big shops can't get around not being allowed to open because it's against the law.

Who'd want to go to Meadowhall today anyway? :confused:

I presume, then, that there are special regulations which cover Easter Sunday, because there isn't a thing open around here. No Tesco, B&Q etc.

Yes, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day* are the two days when big shops are not allowed to open.

*I think

Here you go.............http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792287

Yes, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day are the two days when big shops are not allowed to open.

Correct. And the only 2 days of the year that Meadowhall doesn't open.

Shops in M'hall get fined if they close on any other days, or if they are not open before 10am or if they are shut before 9pm*.

On Boxing Day 2005, shops such as M&S and Beaverbrooks worked out that to stay shut and pay the fine from Meadowhall was cheaper than paying staff double time, utility bills etc, (plus the number of refunds they would have had to process because of unwanted presents etc) and therefore didn't open.

*this changes to 9am and 10pm over Christmas period.

Archived