Brown Bayleys - do you remember??

My mum and dad met at Brown Bayleys....she worked in the test house in the office and dad worked in the labs. Sheila (nee Allott) and Doug Coe. Dad worked there until he was made redundant in the early 80's when Hadfields took over. Many happy memories......

Doug Coe was my boss. I worked in the labs from 1966 to 1973. Then I moved up a bit and became a foreman on the billet finishing until 1980.

Doug Coe was my boss. I worked in the labs from 1966 to 1973. Then I moved up a bit and became a foreman on the billet finishing until 1980.

My dad died a number of years ago....he had looked forward to his retirement but never got there being made redundant. At just 59 he 'went fishing'.....

Does anyone know anything about Brown Baileys' head office? I'm not sure but I think it was somewhere off Riverdale Rd at Ranmoor. It was a big old house.

Also can anyone tell me anything about Lord Riverdale???

Cheers

Lord Riverdale and his son Hon Mark Balfour were on the board of directors of Arthur Balfour on The Wicker.It had offices and steel stock there along with managers and the personal dept.Another office was at Sheffield Rd Tinsley, both sadly demolished.

Most older folk will associate Brown Bailey's with their famous, green steam lorries which they used long after that form of transport had become museum curiosities; anyone work on them ?

If you want to see a beautifully restored ,in Brown Bayley,s colours,Sentinel steam lorry there was one of the originals in the Glasgow transport museum.I remember them in the 1960,s often carrying red hot metals.It used to say on them max speed 12mph !!!!! Their garage was inside the works near where the Arena is now.Apparently they were made near Glasgow.If you contact the museum they sold a catalogue and postcards of the Brown Bayleys Sentinel.Its a super museum.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...