Brown Bayleys - do you remember??

• 1 month later...
Most older folk will associate Brown Bailey's with their famous, green steam lorries which they used long after that form of transport had become museum curiosities; anyone work on them ?

My father William Mather (Bill) took charge of a brand new Sentinel steam lorry

at Pond's Forge in 1929. Later moved to Brown Bayleys with it did 12 hour

shifts all through WW2 So the Sentinel was working 24/7 and he was still

driving it in the fifties.............. made to last or what!!

One of the best companies to work for, worked there for 13yrs untill made redundant not the same after Lonro took over the firm. There were rolling mills,machine shop, hammers and forges, blacksmiths, open harth furnaces, jumping machines in the east forge, pickling vats and a lot more besides that at its peak a few thousand worked there including women who did a great job not forgeting swing grinders and finishing banks

I worked at Brown-Bayleys from 1970 to 1980 as an Electrician and can remember working on a fault on the Diesel that shunted the scrap wagons about yard with Frank Staniforth a chargehand at that time. We fixed the fault but were too scared to start up the engine and test it because we were inside a building and the big doors were closed and we were only 10 yds away from them.

I worked at Brown-Bayleys from 1970 to 1980 as an Electrician and can remember working on a fault on the Diesel that shunted the scrap wagons about yard with Frank Staniforth a chargehand at that time. We fixed the fault but were too scared to start up the engine and test it because we were inside a building and the big doors were closed and we were only 10 yds away from them.

Hi Malcolm. I worked there from 71 to the closure in 81.

You were my charge hand when I finished my apprenticeship and started shifts in the melting shop