Homeless people sat outside shops in crookes

I noticed for a while now a number of so called homeless people sat outside sainsburys mainly.what interests me is that Ave seen them going into a house on numerous occasions,clearly not homeless but clearly begging for money.this makes me angry,there's hundreds of homeless people in this country and there taking advantage from it.

There was someone sleeping on the bench outside Hillsborough Leisure on Christmas Eve morning. 7am and snoring his head off. Didnt bother me much but little kids might find it disturbing.

Then children should have it explained to them that some people have no choice but to sleep rough.

I noticed for a while now a number of so called homeless people sat outside sainsburys mainly.what interests me is that Ave seen them going into a house on numerous occasions,clearly not homeless but clearly begging for money.this makes me angry,there's hundreds of homeless people in this country and there taking advantage from it.

Actually there's not hundreds, there's thousands, and that's rough sleepers on the streets, it doesn't include the many more in hostels, B&Bs and sofa surfing etc.

According to the last count (reported BBC news at 10.00, 23rd Dec.) there's actually 2,800+ out on the street sleeping in shop doorways etc. at any one time. That's up by 55% since 2010. The average age of death of a rough sleeper is 47.

At the same time social services and other government organisations dealing with the problem have had their budgets cut and can no longer cope.

Pretty sad figures.

There was someone sleeping on the bench outside Hillsborough Leisure on Christmas Eve morning. 7am and snoring his head off. Didnt bother me much but little kids might find it disturbing.

Quite right. Whenever I see a homeless person snoring my immediate thoughts are for any children who might find the idea disturbing.

---------- Post added 27-12-2015 at 09:29 ----------

...so called homeless people .....going into a house on numerous occasions,clearly not homeless....

You're the one saying they're homeless and then saying they're not homeless. You're just having an argument with yourself.

I got talking to a couple of rough sleepers in Doncaster a couple of weeks ago. I normally don't give to anyone begging, preferring to support charities who help the genuinely homeless. However as I walked through a covered precinct in the town centre, I saw a woman quietly go up to them with some money, even though they weren't begging. Then a chap came along with some warm sausage rolls and they were so grateful that I felt I had to try and help too.

I gave them a small amount of money so they could at least get a hot drink, and asked if there was nowhere they could go for help. Doncaster, like Sheffield, has a 'No second night out' slogan which suggests there is some form of accessible accommodation for rough sleepers. They said they'd tried, but there was no help. They were pretty dirty, but there was no visible evidence of drink or drugs, unlike many others who beg. I wish I could have done more. I did send an email via this link:

https://www.doncasterhomechoice.co.uk/content/HomeChoices/NoSecondNightOut

Edited by Ms Macbeth

The number of rough sleepers does seem to have shot up over the last year. There have always been chancers who beg on a 'pitch' to fund drug habbits but there now seem to be a lot of genuinely rough sleeping people dotted around town. Very sad that its still happening in this day and age in a western country.

Quite right. Whenever I see a homeless person snoring my immediate thoughts are for any children who might find the idea disturbing.

What idea is that?

The idea of someone snoring or the idea of having to walk past a person in a sleeping bag asleep as you are within feet of the entrance of a leisure centre?

Yes, as mentioned above after you have walked past and discovered someone asleep on the bench outside the entrance is a simple explanation that some people have to sleep rough through no fault of their own.

Actually there's not hundreds, there's thousands, and that's rough sleepers on the streets, it doesn't include the many more in hostels, B&Bs and sofa surfing etc.

According to the last count (reported BBC news at 10.00, 23rd Dec.) there's actually 2,800+ out on the street sleeping in shop doorways etc. at any one time. That's up by 55% since 2010. The average age of death of a rough sleeper is 47.

At the same time social services and other government organisations dealing with the problem have had their budgets cut and can no longer cope.

Pretty sad figures.

Its Christmas time AB. They always increase at Christmas time. Best time to do it with the most profitable footfall.

GENUINE HOMELESS is what I care about. Organisations like the Salvation Army is what I care about.

The "thousands" of faux beggars on the streets praying on the season of good will I certainly do not. The thousands of gang led immigrant beggars praying on the unaware tourists I certainly do not. The thousands of street homeless who actually have taxpayer funded accommodation but choose not to live in it, I do not.

Figures can and are very easily manipulated to give a good headline. Break them down, have some exposure to these "homeless people", do many years dealing with housing law and homeless services like I did, and you will see that very little of these "homeless" are actually homeless at all.

Edited by ECCOnoob