Car won't start:

Help! Car won't start...

I'm turning the key okay, it sounds like it's trying to start but the engine isn't catching (revving).

Looks like (from http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/troubleshooting-a-car-that-wont-start.html)...

The car cranks over but won't start. Check the fuel supply to your engine. If that's okay, check whether the electrical spark is getting to your spark plugs.

Does that mean power is not getting to the spark plugs?

Thanks Wallace.

I drove it late last night. Pretty sure there were no lights left on or anything.

I think the battery low warning light may have been coming on recently; even so, it did sound strong as I was turning the key in the ignition (have tried to start cars before with low battery, and they just sound a lot weaker).

It's a Peugeot 1007. Had a look under the bonnet, and there are covers over everything, so a bit hard to see where the spark-plugs are, or trace them back to the battery.

---------- Post added 27-12-2015 at 11:21 ----------

Actually, have been reading that low battery voltage can give out all kinds of warnings on the dash; and there have been a couple of other odd warnings. I guess, checking the battery is a good start...

Thank chaps.

Tried to jump starting it; but no joy. Not sure if I did it wrong though (seemed to have even less power when I tried starting it with jump leads connected to battery on the other car).

Probably have to join the AA or something with home start. :(

Tried to jump starting it; but no joy. Not sure if I did it wrong though (seemed to have even less power when I tried starting it with jump leads connected to battery on the other car).

(

Sometimes you can to rev the other car for several minutes, to charge your battery, just connecting two batteries together is often not enough.

Problem with jump starting via leads is the flat battery will pull down the charged one better to fit the charged one to the car then get the flat one charged up. There is no such thing as a battery low warning light the light you refer to indicates the battery is charging that's all.