Coffee - Ground vs Instant?

........never tried an Aeropress! but am into good coffee.

..any chance I could pop round to yours over the New Year and let you make me a cup before I purchase?

If you do, could you please let us all know how you get on with it?

Tempted to get something like that myself; presumably all you need is a coffee grinder and one of those Aeropress devices, and some coffee beans? Where do you buy coffee beans in Sheffield?

We had something similar to that, never felt it worked very well personally although I guess these newer ones might have improved?

Another tip I found, if you whisk the milk it tastes similar to steaming it and doesn't seem to cool the coffee down as much. I can't always do it though as I have issues with my hands.

It may also only work with un-homogenised milk, I haven't tried with your average standardised.

Edited by AlexAtkin

........never tried an Aeropress! but am into good coffee.

..any chance I could pop round to yours over the New Year and let you make me a cup before I purchase?

Err, we could probably work something out I suppose.

Or alternatively, you could go to Tamper (around the corner from Nandos off West Street), they serve a brew from an aeropress, you could even order the same beans done in multiple ways to compare!

---------- Post added 28-12-2015 at 22:00 ----------

We could have a forum coffee meet in Tamper :-)

Beans, personally I just buy coffee from the supermarket, they sell beans there if you want to grind.

I ordered some recently online, they weren't all that special I though, not worth the extra cost.

My friend has a hasbean standing order, sometimes the coffee is good, sometimes it's a bit bland for me.

A bean-to-cup machine, DeLonghi (which I suspect the OP might be referring to?) cost around 300£ and is our heavy lifter.
Same here, and I don't think I need to explain much about how the French also like their coffee (black, strong enough to stand a spoon in it - and several times a day :D).

If that is the type of machine which the OP is on about, I am singularly failing to understand how it can take 20 minutes...or even 1 minute for that matter (unless that includes the start-up procedure from OFF, which takes about 30 to 40 seconds including the rinse cycle for ours).

With ours, a single cup (half a mug-ish in volume) takes about 15 seconds from the button press, start (grind) to finish (coffee in cup, ready to drink).

It wasn't £300, mind, but that machine was bought 2 years ago (IIRC) so prices might have come down since. We buy beans from supermarkets here, but once or twice a year a special occasion mix from a coffee importer/roaster over in France (still a few of these about over there).

I have only ever tasted one instant coffee that was as good as the real thing, and Kenco discontinued it.

The majority of instant coffee I absolutely hate the taste, its either weak and watery or bitter sludge.

Mostly I drink tea, because the effort involved to make a good cup of coffee is so extreme. That said, tea is not as simple as some people think either. You need to spend a minute or two stirring the bags so they properly infuse or it tastes like crap.

I also find it quite funny how expensive Starbucks and Costa are, but I find McDonalds coffee actually tastes nicer and is much cheaper.

Oh you peasant! Leaf tea every time in a teapot