UK flooding again

Hope this is ok mods........There is a collection this Saturday at Sheffield Sea Cadets for any bits of cleaning items, buckets bleach mops etc. The lads want to go but its not possible to send them into a disaster zone, so one of their instructors will be driving up in a transit sized van to deliver whatever they can collect. The unit will be open from 9.00am.Conquest House Stanley Street Sheffield S3 8HJ.

disaster zone oh please.

My scouts are living in this "disaster" zone and none of them are having issues, and we are doing a spot of cleaning as well.

disaster zone oh please.

My scouts are living in this "disaster" zone and none of them are having issues, and we are doing a spot of cleaning as well.

Your scouts are living in the depths of the river Aire, I hope they get a badge.

---------- Post added 30-12-2015 at 00:57 ----------

Or do the BBC and Sky have more reporters looking for stories with great pictures?

I believe they are looking for photos of Sheffield covered in snow, in Dec 2015; they could just use photoshop, is that what you think they have done with the flooding :loopy:

Edited by El Cid

If we'd been hit the same way as in 2007 we'd have been in the same trouble as Leeds was last week.

Our local councils got lucky because the intense rain band passed about 20 miles north of Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster.

I agree with you there I1, and perhaps the reason they stopped dredging is as carlbadboy said, it damages the river eco system.

I agree with you there I1, and perhaps the reason they stopped dredging is as carlbadboy said, it damages the river eco system.

I don't fully agree or disagree but question if it will be as bad again.

It is not just dredging. Obstacles, islands blocking the flow. Bushes impeding the flow, have been removed and all summer people have worked on keeping growth around the don river in order.

The levels that the don river reaches now after intense rain is not as bad as it used to be and the high water comes down a lot faster than it used to before 2007.

They are not dredging it but certain trees and other growth removal have made major improvements in the flow.

Edited by dutch

So there you have it, the EU do occasionally serve a useful purpose, I don't support the EU or the Greens but I am well pleased that we are starting to think more about the environment that sustains us, homes can be rebuilt and furniture replaced.

Homes can be rebuilt huh? And that's going to help the environment is it? You do know that concrete and cement are extremely costly and damaging to the environment, right? I'm reasonably sure that it's more environmentally friendly to protect what is already there.

Homes can be rebuilt huh? And that's going to help the environment is it? You do know that concrete and cement are extremely costly and damaging to the environment, right? I'm reasonably sure that it's more environmentally friendly to protect what is already there.

The houses are still standing so don't need rebuilding, in the short term they just need fixing and in the long term they need demolishing and not replacing.

It's not environmentally friendly to dredge a river.

It's not environmentally friendly to dredge a river.

The flow of water has worn a deep furrow in the land, it has taken many thousands of years, I havnt googled this subject yet, but surely the flow of water will not change the continued erosion.

Perhaps it is our rubbish that is jamming up the rivers?

The flow of water has worn a deep furrow in the land, it has taken many thousands of years, I havnt googled this subject yet, but surely the flow of water will not change the continued erosion.

Perhaps it is our rubbish that is jamming up the rivers?

You assume that rive3rs always erode - for many of the floodplains the river flow is low and they are in fact depositing eroded rock and silt. If this is the case the river will always flood and move. If you look at the Yellow River in China for an extreme example the river has been built up by it's own efforts and those of the populace. It now flows in a channel ona bed many meters above the surrounding land, protected by levees and when it bursts it's quite catastrophic.