UK flooding again

Residents of Hebden Bridge appealed to the Government a few years ago that they were in danger of flooding due to upland tree felling and bog draining. An initial investigation found that the upland grouse moor owners had committed criminal acts and a case was brought against them. A couple of years down the line the case was dropped and instead the estate was given a Govt (taxpayers) grant to continue breaking the law.

It's really not rocket science that people downstream get flooded when people upland are paid by bot the govt and the EU to remove hedges, trees and woodland.

Even Owen Pattison realised this and he was a cretin.

That's interesting, but the EA are using the EU directive to justify their no dredging policy. So it's not "nothing to do with EU directives".

If you're right, then something very strange is going on.

It would appear the answer is on page 41 of the report - a speech made on a visit to the Somerset Levels in February 2014.

The Prime Minister, David Cameron, said that “the pause in dredging that took place in the late 90’s that was wrong and we need to get back to dredging again”. “People who say dredging won’t make a difference are wrong”, He also said on the Andrew Marr show “that the Government needs to exercise responsibility and have a radical shake up”.

It would be more constructive to discuss what steps can be taken to avoid a repeat of this in the future. Many blame global warming for floods and others blame the removal of greenery or bad drainage issues. None of this will help the people blighted by this, but what will help is a total revisit to the drainage problem by professionals, and their advice taken and our government funding the necessary improvements. If anyone didn't see the post yesterday, the Sheffield Sea Cadets are collecting cleaning products to take to affected areas this weekend. It's not much, but its something we can possibly help with.

Bless the people affected.

Do we accept this sort of thing is going to happen and prepare for it better? I recall a tv show where a guy was building or renovating a house on the north Essex coast - a place that knows a thing or two about flooding. Rather than waiting for the government to try and turn the sea away in bad weather he effectivly made the ground floor waterproof - tiled everywhere that sort of thing. So when the water did start rushing in it was far easier for the whole thing to dry out.

I'll see if I can track it down - it was late 90s so ahead of its time really.

Do we accept this sort of thing is going to happen and prepare for it better? I recall a tv show where a guy was building or renovating a house on the north Essex coast - a place that knows a thing or two about flooding. Rather than waiting for the government to try and turn the sea away in bad weather he effectivly made the ground floor waterproof - tiled everywhere that sort of thing. So when the water did start rushing in it was far easier for the whole thing to dry out.

I'll see if I can track it down - it was late 90s so ahead of its time really.

For residents to do this would be a great idea, but is it a feasible thing to do in ones home? A lot of people like carpets and soft furnishings and although some people should expect flooding in particular areas, the sheer size of this tradegy would include dwellings that weren't suitable for tiling, ie mobile tenements etc. Surely the effects of flooding can be simulated at its worst, and prevention implemented accordingly?

That's interesting, but the EA are using the EU directive to justify their no dredging policy. So it's not "nothing to do with EU directives".

If you're right, then something very strange is going on. It seems unlikely though, and in the absence of strong evidence to the contrary I'm inclined to assume that the EA at least believe that they're interpreting the directive correctly. What could motivate them to do otherwise?

The EA are using the EU directive to justify their inaction. How do you explain the bridge that collapsed in Tadcaster being reported as 'being weak for years', that is sod all to do with the EU, that is just poor government planning.

The EU also does categorically not forbid river dredging, again, that is local implementation. In my example of Grijpskerk it is the two rivers that were dredged and provided with more outlet.

There is a culture of blaming the EU for everything in British government, the sooner you wake up to that, the more obvious it will become.

I feel really sorry for all of these people who have had their homes flooded, it could take years to try and put their property's right. As it did with some of the houses in the Hillsborough area when they were flooded in 2007.

I remember walking from Hillsborough to Grenoside when Sheffield had floods in 2007, you could not avoid walking in the sludgy water. My legs and skirt were wet and covered in sludge, and there was no hot water to have a bath when I did get home because the electricity was not working. At least I did not have to deal with the trauma of my house being flooded.

Does any one know if Government can claim grants from the EU to help with repairs caused by the floods? If not for people's homes then are they allowed help towards any damage for the infrastructure?