20% of children are SEN

What is ESA?

And shouldn't the thread title be "20% of children have SEN"? You can't be a condition, a condition is something you have.

Employment Support Allowance?

You can start your own thread on grammar, but it may end in bickering, as many threads seem to, not this thread please.

What is ESA?

And shouldn't the thread title be "20% of children have SEN"? You can't be a condition, a condition is something you have.

ESA is Employment and Support allowance, it's like JSA but for those who need extra help and support to get into employment, and while they are also in a job...

It's not quite DLA (or PIP).... it's somewhere in between...

and it should be "20% of children have an SEN" ;)

ESA is Employment and Support allowance, it's like JSA but for those who need extra help and support to get into employment, and while they are also in a job...

It's not quite DLA (or PIP).... it's somewhere in between...

and it should be "20% of children have an SEN" ;)

Thanks for the ESA explanation :)

I think "20% of children have an SEN" sounds wrong. SEN is 'Special Educational Needs', so if you expand it you get "20% of children have an Special Educational Needs" which isn't right.

"20% of children have Special Educational Needs" sounds right.

Thanks for the ESA explanation :)

I think "20% of children have an SEN" sounds wrong. SEN is 'Special Educational Needs', so if you expand it you get "20% of children have an Special Educational Needs" which isn't right.

"20% of children have Special Educational Needs" sounds right.

SEN means "Special Educational Needs", but when said as SEN it would be "an SEN" because "An SEN" is "A Statement of special educational needs"...

Getting a statement of SEN is actually quite difficult and involves several different agencies for assessment, many of which are so overstretched it can take ages.

Generally teachers know who has SEN and who just needs extra classroom support, but wouldn't qualify as SEN, and try to give the support anyway rather than wait for the (extensive) paper work to catch up. Even with a statement and funding, the right help isn't always available. It really is a Cinderella area in education.

In a similar way to how 'care in the community' fell short when the mental hospitals closed, so children have been short changed when the special schools closed and the children were absorbed into mainstream education.The results are very patchy.

SEN means "Special Educational Needs", but when said as SEN it would be "an SEN" because "An SEN" is "A Statement of special educational needs"...

That would depend on whether you pronounce it as sen, or spell out the letters ess eee enn :|

Getting a statement of SEN is actually quite difficult and involves several different agencies for assessment, many of which are so overstretched it can take ages.

Generally teachers know who has SEN and who just needs extra classroom support, but wouldn't qualify as SEN, and try to give the support anyway rather than wait for the (extensive) paper work to catch up. Even with a statement and funding, the right help isn't always available. It really is a Cinderella area in education.

In a similar way to how 'care in the community' fell short when the mental hospitals closed, so children have been short changed when the special schools closed and the children were absorbed into mainstream education.The results are very patchy.

yeah, my junior schools etc knew of my 'needs' before I had SEN, it wasn't until later on ( just before secondary ) when I was actually assessed and statemented... Currently not had any ESA since October because of the "Fit for work" thing, waiting on my appeal / tribunal date...