New Years Honours List

How on earth can Barbara Windsor deserve to be given the title Dame ?

In brief she has starred in a few Carry On films , Eastenders , Online Bingo advertisements and jumped on the British Legion bandwagon . Some of her choices of friends and associates in the past have not exactly been pillars of the community .

Are the powers that be, now scraping the barrel with some of their decisions to give people honours ?

She wrote in her book that she was a "Supporter" of the Conservative Party.

no doubt her donations have led to her elevation.

Sounds like Cash for gongs to me..

---------- Post added 01-01-2016 at 18:56 ----------

In all seriousness, why any man would want to use the title Sir after the revelations of the last 6 or 7 years seems to me to be astonishing.

It would be interesting to draw up a list of Knights who have been in prison or accused of a serious crime in a court of law.

She wrote in her book that she was a "Supporter" of the Conservative Party.

no doubt her donations have led to her elevation.

Sounds like Cash for gongs to me..

A supporter doesn't mean they give donations . I doubt very much Barbara Windsor has donated one penny to the Conservative party . I have no doubt she is comfortably off , but she isn't in the league to make major donations to any organisation . Doesn't sound like cash for gones to me, just a poor decision which devalues the title .

A supporter doesn't mean they give donations . I doubt very much Barbara Windsor has donated one penny to the Conservative party . I have no doubt she is comfortably off , but she isn't in the league to make major donations to any organisation . Doesn't sound like cash for gones to me, just a poor decision which devalues the title .

I'm sure you're right that Windsor didn't give a penny to the Tories. Same as Cilla Black - when confronted with her apparent support for the Tories, speaking at their rally - she scoffed a the idea that she supported the Tories. Especially after Hesletine privatised the pits....Cilla then wept about those 'poor hardworking miners and their families' :gag:

Every single year the media stir this plop up with a massive stick.

As usual a handful of famous names get splashed all over the papers and the twitterati and keyboard warriors have an endless debate about who should/shouldn't be on the list followed by lots of whines about why "real" people never get a mention.

The honours list is 124 pages long. There are people on there who are Civil Servants, Teachers, Doctors, Volunteer Workers, Carers, Nurses, Company Executives and retirees.

The media, as usual, pick out the big names because they attract sales. Mrs Doris Bloggs of Slough would not have such an appeal.

If people bothered to read it, they would see exactly why these people are felt deserving of an honour. ALL 124 pages of them. Not just the headlines.

I'm sure you're right that Windsor didn't give a penny to the Tories. Same as Cilla Black - when confronted with her apparent support for the Tories, speaking at their rally - she scoffed a the idea that she supported the Tories. Especially after Hesletine privatised the pits....Cilla then wept about those 'poor hardworking miners and their families' :gag:

It's no an issue of which party is in power .

I am not saying Cilla Black should have been made a Dame , but I think she would have been more worthy of the honour than Barbara Windsor . It's a Surprise , Surprise to many people that Barbara Windsor has receive the honour .

Does anyone know if the man who runs St Wlifred's centre has been honoured? His name is Kevin but can't find his surname. There was some talk of it couple of years ago. He and his staff do a marvellous job and if he hasn't, it is he and the likes of him who should be