New Years Honours List

What really annoys me is when 'top' civil service types get Knighthoods just for doing their jobs (which they have already been very well remunerated for, and with stonking pensions and perks to boot.) It accounts for the majority of knighthoods.

Why?

It's just more cronyism and stinks of the old boy network...

All those honoured doctors, nurses, community workers are "just doing their jobs for which they are paid for" so surely the same rule should apply.

If you are gonna have something - it should be equal across the board, right?

Just once can we leave wealth and salary out of this. They are being given recognition for their long service or achievement in a particular field.

Its no different to when a company gives recognition to an employee for their service or outstanding work on a particular circumstance. Its academic whether that person is shop floor or senior executive. The recognition is still just as valid.

Reading all the stuff about honours lists. Van Morrison is a Sir, but Eric Clapton is not. What a joke. Clapton is the only person in the Rock and Roll hall of fame 4 TIMES, and makes millions for recovering drug addicts world wide, Oh, I almost forget, he is arguably the best rock /blues guitar player, England has ever produced. He also has 6 grammy awards Cliff, Elton, Paul, Mick and Van don't have that many between them.

Eric Clapton is a CBE.

He also has 17 Grammy awards; Paul McCartney has 18. I think it's fair to say Cliff, Elton, Paul, Mick and Van have more between them.

Edited by the_bloke

All those honoured doctors, nurses, community workers are "just doing their jobs for which they are paid for" so surely the same rule should apply.

If you are gonna have something - it should be equal across the board, right?

Just once can we leave wealth and salary out of this. They are being given recognition for their long service or achievement in a particular field.

Its no different to when a company gives recognition to an employee for their service or outstanding work on a particular circumstance. Its academic whether that person is shop floor or senior executive. The recognition is still just as valid.

All those honoured doctors, nurses, community workers etc might get OBEs or CBEs. How many get knighthoods? That's hardly 'equal across the board,' rather the opposite.

Most 'shopfloor' workers are lucky if they get a gold watch or a clock after a lifetime's service. I think you'll find senior executives are rather better appreciated, both in terms of finances and honours.

Equality has nothing to do with it, and neither has merit. Otherwise the unremarkable Ed Davey, Lib Dem minister for energy and climate change who lost his seat in the last election would not have been deemed worthy of a knighthood.

And Lin Homer, the total disaster at the Head of the UK Border Agency, and now making a bigger mess as the head of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, would not have been made a Dame. Under her Stewardship, HMRC is barely out of the headlines - either for its failure to answer phonecalls from frustrated taxpayers, or its inexplicable willingness to let big businesses off huge Corporation tax bills.

There are other examples. The whole system seems to operate without reason, explanation or justification. We just pay the bills....

Edited by Anna B

I don't agree with Michael Winner about much but this isn't far from the mark............

"An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross station. I really don't care if I get anything or not. I'm very glad that they recognize my considerable skills as a toilet cleaner. But when you look at the rubbish who are getting these awards and the absolute non-service they have given to the nation other than financing or working for political parties, you say, 'What company am I in?' At least if you go straight to the House of Lords you can wear fancy dress and have a giggle."

She's a grubby woman. Gangster's mol and lowlife.

What did martin Lewis get it for? Services to making himself a great deal of money by not producing anything or actually doing anything. Just screwing money out of people.

How does Martin Lewis screw people out of money? Doesn't he just give advice? He also gives tons of money to charity as well. Not sure he deserves a honour mind you, but unless you know something I don't accusing him of effectively fraud seems a bit harsh.

How does Martin Lewis screw people out of money? Doesn't he just give advice? He also gives tons of money to charity as well. Not sure he deserves a honour mind you, but unless you know something I don't accusing him of effectively fraud seems a bit harsh.

Depends on which side of the fence you are on , Sgt Kate . I suspect he is not very popular with the banks and the major retailers because they lose money as a consequence of his advice given .

However , I believe him to be an honest hard working man who deserves all what is has gained from being a money saving expert.

Depends on which side of the fence you are on , Sgt Kate . I suspect he is not very popular with the banks and the major retailers because they lose money as a consequence of his advice given .

However , I believe him to be an honest hard working man who deserves all what is has gained from being a money saving expert.

I'm sure I read somewhere that these kind of money saving sites are, or has been investigated for pointing people to certain big companies for 'so-called' cheaper deals.