Where in a hotel can you drink your own drinks?

....the Holiday Inn in particular. Off to a New Year's party tonight but if I remember correctly the bar prices are extortionate there.

I know most hotels allow you to have your own food & drinks in your room but are there limits to this? Can you take your own beverages downstairs, in the lobby maybe? The Function room/dining hall?

I can't find any policy about it or even any general terms & conditions.

No limits. It might be frowned upon, but the first hotel telling you that you can't consume your own drinks/food in your rented room is yet to be invented.

Edit - just realised you want to know about lobby/etc. at this point it is unclear because you might not be renting a room. As a hotel owner catering for a new years party I'd be annoyed if folks brought their own drinks without being resident in the hotel for the night.

No limits. It might be frowned upon, but the first hotel telling you that you can't consume your own drinks/food in your rented room is yet to be invented.

Not True.

A couple of years ago I was in a hotel in Paris and the notices in the guestroom and lobby on the ground floor expressly forbade the consuming of alcohol in the rooms and suggested that there was a local bylaw which backed them up and that there was a hefty fine for anyone who did.

This was not a top quality hotel, but a standard bed and breakfast.

We did drink a little booze in the room but I was careful to dispose of the empties in the morning in one of the street litter bins before the maid came around.

....the Holiday Inn in particular. Off to a New Year's party tonight but if I remember correctly the bar prices are extortionate there.

I know most hotels allow you to have your own food & drinks in your room but are there limits to this? Can you take your own beverages downstairs, in the lobby maybe? The Function room/dining hall?

I can't find any policy about it or even any general terms & conditions.

If there's nothing in the contractually-binding T&Cs, "policy" is unenforceable.

Not True.

A couple of years ago I was in a hotel in Paris and the notices in the guestroom and lobby on the ground floor expressly forbade the consuming of alcohol in the rooms and suggested that there was a local bylaw which backed them up and that there was a hefty fine for anyone who did.

This was not a top quality hotel, but a standard bed and breakfast.

We did drink a little booze in the room but I was careful to dispose of the empties in the morning in one of the street litter bins before the maid came around.

Might not have had an alcohol licence or whatever the French version is.

If there's nothing in the contractually-binding T&Cs, "policy" is unenforceable.

Surely a hotel is private property. Notwithstanding Ts and Cs, they can ask him to desist and if he does not they can cancel his contract and ask him to leave.

It might not be consistent with their licence. I'd agree with the ones saying it will be frowned upon. Bit like going to a pub with supermarket bought alcohol. They wont look on it kindly.

That said it will be busy so if you are discreet then nobody will notice if you take a hip flask along especially as its going to be busy. I suppose you could ask permission but that denies you the chance to say you hadnt realised.

There is often a notice in cafes, pubs etc saying that food and drink not purchased on the premises is not to be consumed therein.

I have stayed in hotels abroad which even forbad storing drink that was not bought in the hotel in the room's fridge.

Edited by davyboy

Am I alone in thinking that irrespective of the contractual bindings - its just plain rude.

Its one thing to perhaps have a few drinks in the room before/after the event from your own supply but to try and secretly or openly want to drink your own supply in their bar/restaurant/suite is a totally different matter.

You are supposed to be using their facilities. They are there to serve you food and drink. You would not go into a restaurant and sit there with a lunchbox filled with sandwiches. I don't see why people think its ok to "sneak in" booze to a hotel function.

Personally, if you don't want to spend money stay at home and enjoy NYE there.