When it was the norm to work new years day

Don't remember when it became a bank holiday but when everyone was up until at least midnight we all had to turn in for work next morning.

I think Jan 1st. 1964 might be the first time that was a holiday. In Scotland it was but not Christmas day for them. It was around that time that all Britain aligned and recognized the two days.

It became a holiday in 1974. I thought they made it a holiday because hardly anyone bothered going in to work anyway?
Could well be. In the early 1970s I was a bank messenger, and although I was trying to deliver letters on New Year's Day, all the shops and offices were closed. It was the opposite on Good Friday - although it was a bank holiday most of the shops were open and Royal Mail delivered the post. :) It was indeed 1974 when New Year's Day became a Bank Holiday in England; at the same time Boxing Day became a bank holiday in Scotland (until then Christmas Day was a bank holiday there but Boxing Day wasn't).

Could well be. In the early 1970s I was a bank messenger, and although I was trying to deliver letters on New Year's Day, all the shops and offices were closed. It was the opposite on Good Friday - although it was a bank holiday most of the shops were open and Royal Mail delivered the post. :) It was indeed 1974 when New Year's Day became a Bank Holiday in England; at the same time Boxing Day became a bank holiday in Scotland (until then Christmas Day was a bank holiday there but Boxing Day wasn't).

Thank you Mr.H. and I meant 1974 (not 1964) but I messed the Boxing Day thing up.