Christmas & New Year : Goes on too long and too many bank holidays ?

For me the one of the biggest differences that has the most effect on me between the winter and the summer are the darks nights in the winter. This means I struggle to do things in the winter evenings compared to the summer, so I'm thankful for the extra time of over the winter.

Where I used to work, we finished early Christmas Eve and returned on 2nd January (if they fell on weekdays).

As Christmas is my favourite time of the year I loved the long break but got that horrible first day at school feeling when I went back! :(

Now I live in Dubai I have to use annual leave if I want time off at Christmas so now I don't have a full week and a bit away from work so it eases me back in gently :hihi:

Would you no rather have had that time off when it`s warmer and lighter ? ! ?

Yes, but work was very busy leading up to Christmas, and it would have been nice to spend more time with my family and friends (who were off work!).

I enjoyed the Christmas break, I didn't do much but it was just nice to relax and not have to get up at 6.30am or spend 2 hours of my day on the bus. Our company shuts down between Christmas and new year, and it was a welcome break for me. My partner had to work the 3 non bank holidays, so I just relaxed and took the dog for muddy walks, he loved it. And I managed to not spend much money, which is a bonus :)

I wasn't dreading the return to work like others were. I recently changed jobs and I wanted to get back to learning new things and doing the best I can :)

Edited by Isabelle

It is different depending on what industry you're in. I work in engineering, and it's pretty universal to have 'set' holidays. Even if I wanted to work over Christmas or any other time, I couldn't because the place simply shuts down..End of...No choice in the matter!

Oh except if your the boss...he can swan off to Thailand at any time he pleases....Yes we know what for... :suspect:

My mates an aircraft engineer (maintains the Ryanair fleet up in Prestwick) The company he works for shuts up shop from June to September every year. He still gets a basic wage throughout the shut down. He goes off travelling to make the most of it.