KSA - Iran tensions boiling over?

The make up of different oils is very different. We need different types of crude so the various fractions that we need to refine are available in the ratios that we require.

On top of that the recent disputes at Grangemouth were over INEOS seeking guarantees for its proposed investment in facilities to import US shale gas to the UK. We are moving away from putting our energy reliance in volatile regions of the world.

It's madness that we're not producing our own shale gas, but that's a whole other conversation.

Not crude oil is the same. At one end of the scale some are cheaper dirty oils and at the other end are expensive better quality oils. Maybe it makes sense to buy the cheap crude oil then refine it and sell the expensive rich oil to countries that doesn't have such advanced refining technologies.

It may also be a case that we also sell refined oil on for a mark up.

Thank you for that. I thought all crude oil could be refined to the same end products. I clearly haven't learnt anything from school geography!

It's madness that we're not producing our own shale gas, but that's a whole other conversation.

It did occur to me that many of those protesting about shale gas are the same ones who protested against the closure of uneconomic coal mines.

It is pretty clear that given a clean sheet of paper, if someone were attempting to establish coal mining in the UK today the protestors would prevent it happening. Open cast wouldn't get a look in, and any heavy industry would require so much red tape, enquiries and protests that those planning the enterprise would simply clear off and set up in Poland or Turkey instead.

It did occur to me that many of those protesting about shale gas are the same ones who protested against the closure of uneconomic coal mines.

It is pretty clear that given a clean sheet of paper, if someone were attempting to establish coal mining in the UK today the protestors would prevent it happening. Open cast wouldn't get a look in, and any heavy industry would require so much red tape, enquiries and protests that those planning the enterprise would simply clear off and set up in Poland or Turkey instead.

Don't expect the green movement to make sense.

Or it might mean that they're too busy fighting each other to bother us for a while.

Whether they bother us or not isn't really the issue for me. What is the issue for me is that the USA has marched across North Africa smashing up countries and leaving them smashed, and now they are repeating the trick with Syria through their ISIS proxies with the long term aim of smashing Iran as well.

It is shameful. What gives them the right to do this, to destroy so many people's lives? And like good little toadies, we are trotting along behind them. Mr Slippery, our beloved PM, signed a security deal with the Saudis which he is wanting to keep secret, so we are complicit in this.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-government-attempting-to-keep-details-of-secret-security-pact-with-saudi-arabia-hidden-from-a6783376.html

This USA foreign policy has been going on since George Bush, but Saint Barack of Obama has done nothing to change it, or Hilary Clinton, both BBC pin ups.

It is so frustrating to see this going on, especially as it is going unquestioned by our media - as usual.

Leave them be, let them kill each other. Lets keep our noses out.

The problem is that that any conflict around the Gulf will always lead to a rise in the oil prices, which ends up have a detrimental effect on lives here in the UK.

The problem is that that any conflict around the Gulf will always lead to a rise in the oil prices, which ends up have a detrimental effect on lives here in the UK.

Indeed.

And in the long term, I'm not sure we want to see what things will be like if somebody finally wins the 1300 year old Shia - Sunni war.

We've put an awful lot of effort into keeping one side from wiping out the other.