Sheffield movies

janet

Hi, all

anyone know if any other movies were filmed in Sheffield.

I got a real laughs over the full monty,

some of the scenes and building shots looked all so familiar.

janet

I think 'When Saturday Comes' with Sean Been playing a Sheffield United footballer was mainly filmed in Sheffield.

How far back do you want to go? At the turn of the century all major towns and cities had their film-makers and Sheffield was no exception. Sheffield Camera Company, which I think used to be on Paternoster Row (or Walk?, certainly on the opposite side to St Mary’s R.C. Church) made several silent but notable films which are stored at the National Film Institute in London. For the Boxer Rebellion they borrowed the fire brigade’s horses, and borrowed the firemen who were dressed and acted as the ‘Boxers’.

• 2 weeks later...
:thumbsup: Hi yes i remember Slade making the film Slade in Flame filmed on location around walkley kelvin parkwood springs and doncasters steel works at the bottom of berton street. I was 15 at the time and used to go Slade spotting.

The 1995 football hooligan film 'I.D.' was filmed at locations including Sheffield rail station, Millmoor and Rotherham market.

If you pause or slo-mo the DVD version of the Shadwell Town crowd singing you can see that many of the extras are wearing the 1992-1993 Sheff Wed away shirt (the yellow and black one).

A Tynebourn thug is played by Tommy Craig (Wednesday fan) in Rotherham market.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113375/

Among Giants starring Pete Postlethwaite in the late 90s was filmed in Sheffield I think. Some scenes were shot at Neepsend gas works if I remember.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122906/

Not a movie, but the BBC comedy series 'I Didnt Know you Cared' was filmed around many locations in Sheffield during the late 70s (many now gone).

Hope someone can remember this, i was once told that a movie was shot in Sheffield during the 1970s, featuring Syvester Stallone (before his Rocky and Rambo fame), the film was set in Pittsburgh (steel town) during the 20s/30s, but Sheffield was used as the location, in the areas around Attercliffe, the Canal and Bacon Lane, also now changed beyond recognition from the 70s.

Archived