Sheffield movies

janet

Not a movie, but the BBC comedy series 'I Didnt Know you Cared' was filmed around many locations in Sheffield during the late 70s (many now gone).

Hope someone can remember this, i was once told that a movie was shot in Sheffield during the 1970s, featuring Syvester Stallone (before his Rocky and Rambo fame), the film was set in Pittsburgh (steel town) during the 20s/30s, but Sheffield was used as the location, in the areas around Attercliffe, the Canal and Bacon Lane, also now changed beyond recognition from the 70s.

The Stallone film was 'F.I.S.T' - I think they used Brightside Lane for the opening shot of the film

'Full Monty' of course

wasnt there a film called looks and smiles, written by barry hines (kes), i remember my mate saying her brother was in it as an extra, its a great book, set in and around sheffield, great for bringing back the early 80s into your imagination

not totally crap, honky tonk.

"Heartlands" was shot in part in sheffield

It is a very good film with much to reccommend it. Lovely shots in the peak park including a bit of time at the Strines pub. Lovely soundtrack and some live Kate Rusby.

Never understood why this film did not get the recognition it deserved - badly marketed I suspect.

some of the comments here are as positive as you can get

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295303/

There was also - The Last Train - an ITV future shock series, about a group frozen on a train under Sheffield for years whilst a virus destroyed the country... It looked promising, but sadly, wasn't :gag:

King Ralph, with John Goodman.

The scene toward the end when he goes searching for the girl and them walking through the allotments was filmed in Dalton. You get shots of the Corus Steel plant in the background.

Archived