Wednesday Chat #2 - Discuss the Owls here

I thought we well deserved the point, some great Defence team work today and a good all round peformance ... just a pity that sod'in linesman was Blind!!

up the owls!

ATT:23,935:thumbsup:

>Sheffield Wednesday manager Brian Laws praised his team's new-found resolve as they held table-topping Cardiff to a goalless draw at Hillsborough.

Laws believes he is in charge of a significantly-improved team from the one which struggled through so much of the first half of the Coca-Cola Championship season.

"It wasn't a fluent performance by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe the Sheffield Wednesday of old would have crumbled against the league leaders and lost the game," Laws suggested

"They've got a new lease of life and a never-say-die attitude. The team ethic has been fantastic.

"We restricted them to half-chances - and maybe with a bit of luck, we might have got a goal."

New boss Laws has been impressed with the level of competition in the squad.

"The players are certainly fighting for every spot," he said.

Cardiff manager Dave Jones was largely satisfied with his team's performance.

"In the second half we took it to them. They made two great clearances off the line, and their goalkeeper pulled off two great saves," he said.

Jones criticised the performance of match official Phil Dowd.

"I don't think the referee allowed the game to flow," he said.

"I thought he was a little too whistle-happy. It wasn't a dirty game; it was just two teams giving it a right good go."

Jones believes Cardiff have become victims of their own success.

"Because we've been scoring freely, the expectancy level is that we should do that every week," he said.

Wednesday's Deon Burton went close early on, chipping over from the edge of the area.

Cardiff's first effort of note came from Stephen McPhail, whose curling free-kick was narrowly off target.

McPhail put another free-kick just over the bar, while Riccardo Scimeca missed the target with a volley.

Wednesday's Kenny Lunt had a free-kick saved by Neil Alexander, and Wayne Andrews also tested the Cardiff goalkeeper with a low shot.

Cardiff striker Michael Chopra had an effort saved by Mark Crossley at the end of the half.

After the restart, Owls defender Frank Simek played a ball across the face of goal which was missed by both Burton O'Brien and Yoann Folly.

Cardiff's Paul Parry saw his low shot kept out by Crossley. The Wednesday goalkeeper then survived a scare when his attempted clearance went straight to Chopra inside the area, Lee Bullen getting back to make an important block.

Andrews, making his debut for Wednesday after signing on loan, put an angled drive over before wasting an even better chance midway through the second half. After being released by Steve MacLean, Andrews advanced into the area and fired in a low shot - but Alexander was able turn the ball round the post.

Cardiff went close to forcing a breakthrough goal when Parry's effort was cleared off the line by Lunt.

Crossley was also forced to make a fine reaction save to keep out Joe Ledley's close-range header.<

Yep definately deserved a point, game was a bit scrappy though (not helped by the officials as Dave Jones pointed out). Just get a bit worried at our defending sometimes. Bullen was a rock and has really impressed me these last few games but as much as i like Bougherra you can guarantee he'll do summat daft. Once again today a waaay too high backpass put Crossley in all sorts of trouble, he slipped and why Chopra didn't hit it first time i'll never know but Bullen got back to get a great tackle in. Infact it seemed most of there chances came from us messing about in defence.

As for Andrews i didn't think he was fully match fit but some 'fans' don't give him a chance. First mistake and people round me in the North Stand were giving him some right stick, i was praying for him to score that chance he had in the 2nd half to shut em up but the keeper made a great save low to his left. Trouble with a lot of Wednesdayites is they still expect every player that comes into the club to automatically be something special and we've got to realise we can't get the same caliber of players that we used to. It was the same for Wade Small when he first arrived but given time he came good and i'm sure Andrews can make a decent contribution over his loan period, if people don't get on his back.

Anyway the Baggies on Tuesday and if we carry on playing as we have been i can see us getting more pointage* out of that.

*© Paul Sturrock

Yep definately deserved a point, game was a bit scrappy though (not helped by the officials as Dave Jones pointed out). Just get a bit worried at our defending sometimes. Bullen was a rock and has really impressed me these last few games but as much as i like Bougherra you can guarantee he'll do summat daft. Once again today a waaay too high backpass put Crossley in all sorts of trouble, he slipped and why Chopra didn't hit it first time i'll never know but Bullen got back to get a great tackle in. Infact it seemed most of there chances came from us messing about in defence.

As for Andrews i didn't think he was fully match fit but some 'fans' don't give him a chance. First mistake and people round me in the North Stand were giving him some right stick, i was praying for him to score that chance he had in the 2nd half to shut em up but the keeper made a great save low to his left. Trouble with a lot of Wednesdayites is they still expect every player that comes into the club to automatically be something special and we've got to realise we can't get the same caliber of players that we used to. It was the same for Wade Small when he first arrived but given time he came good and i'm sure Andrews can make a decent contribution over his loan period, if people don't get on his back.

Anyway the Baggies on Tuesday and if we carry on playing as we have been i can see us getting more pointage* out of that.

*© Paul Sturrock

Agree in the whole except for:

- thought Bougherra was IMMENSE and although he does drop the odd bollo*k you can see him getting better with every game and I for one, believe he will iron that out of his game entirely before long.

- Wayne Andrews although fit (& I admit he is brought in as cover) is absolutely no better than what we have, and at 29 is not going to improve. So it was just dissapointing to see him spur a couple of good chances and not once beat his man.

Apart from that I thought to say they were top of the league, we were more than a match for them and if we'd have had Brunt & Small fit, then we'd have poised them far more problems out wide than O'Brien & Andrews did & gone on to win it.

Anyone off tomorrow. C'mon you Blues!! :thumbsup:

I have not posted on this site on a regular basis for ages now because it has so little to do with football that it became a waste of time. I have just been reading the multi rants and note that nothing has changed.

I must come from a wierd part of Sheffield where inter team rivalry is nothing more than harmless fun. We even scrapped the annual Christmas battle between village teams for a Wednesday v United supporters game. All the players are mates irrespective of the team they support, most have known each other from school and it's not unusual for an owl to be best man at a blunt's wedding and visa versa.

Ease up guy's, Canadablade if firing blanks from a distant land and the only way that he can transport himself into some real Wednesday v Utd banter is to gate crash this site. He is welcome to cross swords with me at any time if he doesn't mind coming a poor second:hihi:

Ease up guy's, Canadablade if firing blanks from a distant land and the only way that he can transport himself into some real Wednesday v Utd banter is to gate crash this site. He is welcome to cross swords with me at any time if he doesn't mind coming a poor second:hihi:

:rolleyes::hihi:

Bit like when the Blades play Wednesday then :P

- Wayne Andrews although fit (& I admit he is brought in as cover) is absolutely no better than what we have, and at 29 is not going to improve. So it was just dissapointing to see him spur a couple of good chances and not once beat his man.

Yeah you could tell he was trying to feel his way through the game. Thing is the type of players we can get on loan none of them are going to drastically improve the team (except Crossley but that's not difficult comparing him to Jones). I guess it was because the people round me weren't giving him much of a chance that peed me off more than anything. It's probably the same mob who post all the crap on Owlstalk, if i put that on there i'd be classed as a 'Happy Clapper'!

Oh and O'Brien was playing? missed that ;)

:rolleyes::hihi:

Bit like when the Blades play Wednesday then :P

What was it now? On our last return to the top flight you did the double on us. The next season it was two draws and a certain win at Wembley followed by a draw at your place and a 3 - 1 win for us at Hillsborough the next season. You slipped away for a while, and much later so did we. A win each was to come when we next met followed by two wins to you lot last year, so hardly conclusive is it? :confused: :confused:

Archived