Wednesday Chat #2 - Discuss the Owls here

Right then. What's peoples views on the transfer rumours of late?

Apparently, West Haaaaaaam are after Brunty & Wigan are after Bougherra.

On the positive side of things it's not just me who feels that these two are ready for the Premiership, but if we sell either of them, we really are f*cked!

Your recent good run is like a double-edged sword.

It highlights the club and players get attention from other clubs.

I hope that your chairman has the fortitude to dig in if other clubs come calling.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

It's a tough call because when we've had interest in our players in the past we've not sold them but they've ended up going for nothing (the Blunt threesome spring to mind). Yet if you look at how the Blunts staved off interest for Kenny, Jagielka & Tonge it paid off in the end. Then again they weren't in as much debt as we are and selling Brunt and Bougherra for the prices rumored would be the first time in a while we've made a decent profit on a player.

I think the way the season is starting to pan out for us to start selling our best players now we've got a settled team would set us back again. We'll have a better idea after Decembers games. If we are in with a shout of the play-offs then i think we will be adding to our squad in January.

It's a tough call because when we've had interest in our players in the past we've not sold them but they've ended up going for nothing (the Blunt threesome spring to mind). Yet if you look at how the Blunts staved off interest for Kenny, Jagielka & Tonge it paid off in the end. Then again they weren't in as much debt as we are and selling Brunt and Bougherra for the prices rumored would be the first time in a while we've made a decent profit on a player.

I think the way the season is starting to pan out for us to start selling our best players now we've got a settled team would set us back again. We'll have a better idea after Decembers games. If we are in with a shout of the play-offs then i think we will be adding to our squad in January.

Here, here. Wise words, Bob.

But the real facts are Bobo is that you are a selling club like we were for MANY MANY years , well for every year since 1889 till last season :D

When you owe the bank money and they come calling you have to sell off your assets, simple as :mad:

Regards CB

But maybe we have to rethink that selling attitude? If we keep the players we have now and they carry on pulling out the results we can make it to the Premiership and that will bring in bigger money than selling our players would!

That's just it though CB we've never really been a selling club anyway, that's probably why we've got as much debt as we have. We either give em away or pay stupid sums of money THEN give em away!

But it's right what hannahbaby says selling these two would only pay off a small chunk of the debt whilst getting into the Premiership just for one season, especially next season due to the increase in TV money, would just about wipe it all out. I know we're all starting to get carried away after our recent run but if a team like Watford can do it then why not us?

But maybe we have to rethink that selling attitude? If we keep the players we have now and they carry on pulling out the results we can make it to the Premiership and that will bring in bigger money than selling our players would!

If the club is in debt, then it rather depends on whether its creditors are willing to accept the "this much money now, or chance of much more money later" argument. Were the club not in debt, it would definitely be better to retain your playing assets and try for promotion next season if not this one; but depending on how big the debts are, it may not be open for discussion.

That's just it though CB we've never really been a selling club anyway, that's probably why we've got as much debt as we have. We either give em away or pay stupid sums of money THEN give em away!

But it's right what hannahbaby says selling these two would only pay off a small chunk of the debt whilst getting into the Premiership just for one season, especially next season due to the increase in TV money, would just about wipe it all out. I know we're all starting to get carried away after our recent run but if a team like Watford can do it then why not us?

No you have never been a selling club like us,but now you might have to be.

I mean it wasn't a very good piece of business with PS was it :help: If you keep doing business that way then there wont be a business to run :hihi:

To be honest with you I can't see you going up, but if you do well in the next 3 matches then maybe theres a chance.

I saw the youtube goals that Ally put up against Leicester(spelt right Lestat ? ) and Norwich and although the goals were good the defending was atrocious and against Birmingham, Southampton and whoever else it is you play :help: the defences will be better so its a good test as to where you will be playing next season IMO.

As for Watford doing it, Yes they did it when i fully expected Palace to join us :o

Regards CB

The bank will decide for you about rethinking your selling attitude.

We were basically hostages to the bank manager since building the new stand in 1975 and getting relegated the same season.

That noose was around the Blades neck for over 25 years :gag:

Sheff star:

Owls ace set for new deal:thumbsup:

TOMMY Spurr's progress is set to be rewarded by a new contract offer from the Owls.:thumbsup:

The on-form defender is a first-year pro and currently has a one -year deal that runs out in the summer.

Manager Brian Laws has been so impressed by the 19-year-old that he wants to offer him a longer-term future at the club.:thumbsup:

"I've been really pleased with Tommy," said Laws. "I'm looking to improve his contract.:thumbsup:

"He's a young lad who has a big future. He's proved that he's willing, he's a good worker and is keen to learn.

"He has all the ingredients to become a very good player, and he has already had a bit of experience this season. I thought he was excellent at Norwich last Saturday.":thumbsup:

Spurr had one of his best games for the club in the 2-1 win at Carrow Road.

The Leeds-born teenager has regained his place in the starting line-up for the last two matches, with left back John Hills sidelined by a hamstring injury, and is set to be in the team that faces leaders Birmingham at Hillsborough on Saturday.

Spurr also had a run in the team before Laws became manager, and has made 14 starts in all this season.

His form has been all the more remarkable considering that almost all of his appearances have been at full back: he is recognised as being primarily a centre half.

Since Spurr first broke into the team at the end of last season, his attitude and promise have been praised by coaching staff.

A new deal for him would be in keeping with the Owls' policy of tying their best young players to new contracts.

Academy centre half Mark Beevers was recently handed a three-year pro deal though he is only just 17.

:)

Archived