'Smart' Motorways.

Errrr, aren`t we confusing two totally different types of motorway ? The stretch from the A38 junction down to Nottingham is 4 lanes plus a hard shoulder, nobody, apart from the Greens, would have a problem with that. The (not so) smart motorway this thread is criticising [along, it has to be pointed out, with the traffic police.....] is 4 lanes running at full speed with no hard shoulder.

The M1 between just before/after the M18 junction and Nottingham is now entirely 4 lanes with everything up to the A38 Smart (and technically all the way up to the A52). The fact that you don't know that shows how good a judge of these Smart motorways you are.

Aren't we talking about the section close to Leeds where it's 4 lanes with no hard shoulder though?

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 11:15 ----------

How many incidents have we had so far of cars ploughing into broken down cars before the Highways Agency can switch the lane off on the gantries? I assume its running into the hundreds already?

Why would you assume that?

Aren't we talking about the section close to Leeds where it's 4 lanes with no hard shoulder though?

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 11:15 ----------

Why would you assume that?

I can't believe I don't know this from the top of my head, but afaik the new stretch to Nottingham also doesn't have a hard shoulder. It is now a 'smart' motorway though.

The M1 between just before/after the M18 junction and Nottingham is now entirely 4 lanes with everything up to the A38 Smart (and technically all the way up to the A52). The fact that you don't know that shows how good a judge of these Smart motorways you are.

Isn`t that a bit personal ?

We go north more than south on the M1, but when I last went on it they were still working on the section south of the M18 junc down to the A38

and there was a 50mph speed limit. Are you saying that`s all over and done with, finished and the 70mph limit is back (but with no hard shoulder.....) ? If so when did that open ?

Isn`t that a bit personal ?

We go north more than south on the M1, but when I last went on it they were still working on the section south of the M18 junc down to the A38

and there was a 50mph speed limit. Are you saying that`s all over and done with, finished and the 70mph limit is back (but with no hard shoulder.....) ? If so when did that open ?

The Notts section has been open for over a year.

---------- Post added 10-04-2016 at 19:51 ----------

And yet wit is the highest form of humour. :hihi:

Sarcasm aside, he thinks the fact that he's had 2 journey's on the road and not died somehow proves it's just as safe as every other possible design of motorway. :roll:

The Notts section has been open for over a year.

Are we saying a section of the M1 with 4 lanes running at 70mph and with no hard shoulder has been open in Nottinghamshire for a year ? The only section of four lane M1 I knew of was from the A38 junction to the Nottingham junction but that has a hard shoulder, i.e. 4 lanes plus a hard shoulder = 5 lanes.