'Smart' Motorways.

It says in the consultation that they are using a mix of gantry and cantilever signs.

There are both types, but far more of the (cheaper) cantilever type. I`m interested to know what display they`ll have on them when the 4th lane * is out of use, I`m certain it won`t be as easily understood as a individual sign over each lane.

* because it isn`t a hard shoulder. That is unlike the M42 scheme, where there is a hard shoulder which just becomes a 4th lane when circumstances demand it (and a 50mph speed limit is invoked).

Using the hardshoulder as as extra lane is far too dangerous. :o If a vehicle in front of me suddenly breaksdown, it has now where to go to get out of the way & i may have to swerve to avoid it.

For that reason, i will not use the hardshoulder as an extra lane, & even if plod pulls me up for not using the hardshoulder & nicks me for it, i will go to court & defend my actions !

LEts be honest. IT's not a motorway. They have refuges and hard shoulders.

This is just a fenced in dual carriageway, with the disadvantage that if you break down on it you will possibly die from being rear ended, and if not you will get charged a mindblowing amount for being towed off the road.

I use the A1 now going north/south.

Using the hardshoulder as as extra lane is far too dangerous. :o If a vehicle in front of me suddenly breaksdown, it has now where to go to get out of the way & i may have to swerve to avoid it.

For that reason, i will not use the hardshoulder as an extra lane, & even if plod pulls me up for not using the hardshoulder & nicks me for it, i will go to court & defend my actions !

They won`t, so don`t worry about it. I agree with you anyway, I don`t think I`ll be using the 4th lane (and certainly not at night) as a general rule. I may be tempted if the motorway was completely empty, but if it were completely empty it wouldn`t actually matter which lane I was in !

There are both types, but far more of the (cheaper) cantilever type. I`m interested to know what display they`ll have on them when the 4th lane * is out of use, I`m certain it won`t be as easily understood as a individual sign over each lane.

* because it isn`t a hard shoulder. That is unlike the M42 scheme, where there is a hard shoulder which just becomes a 4th lane when circumstances demand it (and a 50mph speed limit is invoked).

it will be a red cross with the words hard shoulder not in use :roll:

Most of the signage isn't the over the road gantry type signs, most of it is just the messaging type signs that normally say things like 'M1 Jct 6-7 closed' or 'Surface water - slow down'. Justin's point is that those signs are nowhere near as clear as the ones like you say that go over the lane and have a red cross. Only a total muppet wouldn't be able to follow those.

"Hard shoulder not in use" could be taken either way ! It`s not in use as a hard shoulder, or not in use as a lane ! !

Being serious, the hard shoulder doesn`t exist on the M1 (not so) "smart motorway", it isn`t like the M42. That`s the whole point.

"Hard shoulder not in use" could be taken either way ! It`s not in use as a hard shoulder, or not in use as a lane ! !

Being serious, the hard shoulder doesn`t exist on the M1 (not so) "smart motorway", it isn`t like the M42. That`s the whole point.

its supposed to be not in use to traffic that's the point of the red cross but yes I agree there will be more deaths/casualities. ive worked on the motorways and its allways human error causing the accidents

There are better ways to manage speeds on motorways and main roads through monitoring. Opening more lanes makes congestion worse and compacts more vehicles into the same time and space.

Predictive congestion analysis to set speed limits well in advance can slow traffic down before it gets into a serious build up and keep traffic inertia and pollution to a minimum.

Roads with traffic lights ahead should have dynamic electronic speed limits so drivers can adjust their speed to continue without having to stop on red. This would take some time to set up to allow for different times and local circumstances like factories turning out.

What is the problem with the M1? Used it for the first time in ages last Friday, and it was great. I've always believed all the accidents happen in the outside lanes, because that's where I've usually seen them. The problem is not with the Motorway, its the incapable idiots that use them. 1 in 5 drivers admits to using social media whilst driving. That's 20% of everyone on the road. And you're worried about an extra lane????