'Smart' Motorways.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:25, geared said:

I agree, it's very sad she's died but standing next to your broken down vehicle on the motorway isn't very smart.

It'd been there 16 minutes apparently, plenty of time to get out of the way.

And plenty of time to close the lane...… I`ve seen loads of beached cars on "smart" motorways, including one just today, with the lane still open.

Or was the lane closed ?

If it was that`s even worse, that proves that the whole concept of a motorway with (what was) the hard shoulder open as a normal ruinning lane as default, is a bad idea.

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

About time. Why does it take unnecessary deaths before a stupid idea some whiz kid came up with is seen for what it is? Hard shoulders are there for a reason.

Because the deaths of poor Northerners are an acceptable price to pay when a London-centric government expands a motorway on the cheap?

I know us Sheffielders like saving money, but deaths are too high a price to pay, even for a tight-arse skinflint like me

These deaths were expected, inevitable, and avoidable

I drove to Folkestone last weekend.

In the huge roadworks near Milton Keynes, there were two broken down lorries in sections without hard shoulder. The delays caused were ridiculous. The two breakdowns added roughly 40 minutes to my journey.

Removing the hard shoulder is clearly dangerous. It also does little to improve journey times as every small incident has a disproportionate effect upon traffic flow.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

I drove to Folkestone last weekend.

In the huge roadworks near Milton Keynes, there were two broken down lorries in sections without hard shoulder. The delays caused were ridiculous. The two breakdowns added roughly 40 minutes to my journey.

Removing the hard shoulder is clearly dangerous. It also does little to improve journey times as every small incident has a disproportionate effect upon traffic flow.

Those roadworks take the mickey big style. 22 miles of roadworks and another 2 1/2 years still to go yet 

It really depends on the stretch of motorway. I think the stretches that are hard shoulders first then a live lane depending on traffic are a better bet than a live lane that covers to a hard shoulder. The stretch north of luton has gantries stretching over 4 lanes that a very very frequent - they might even have proper street lighting (can't remember). That stretch from 30 to 29 has very sporadic LED signs and no street lighting.

I've happened across a vehicle on occasion and the nearest gantry hasn't warned me - and it hadn't just happened, as the occupants had already scampered halfway up the embankment. 

It's not a bad idea, just badly done.

25 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Because the deaths of poor Northerners are an acceptable price to pay when a London-centric government expands a motorway on the cheap?

I know us Sheffielders like saving money, but deaths are too high a price to pay, even for a tight-arse skinflint like me

These deaths were expected, inevitable, and avoidable

Your my kinda guy Joker.