118118 Charges on my phone bill??

........knowing what I know........I would put money on No2.

But for what purpose? Are you seriously suggestion someone is risking a prosecution and potential jail sentence to rack up just £11 worth of charges on your phone bill? Why would they do that? If they'd rung a premium number linked for a dodgy business then I'd be far more inclined to believe that the cab may have been hacked, but this just doesn't fly for me.

Occams Razor and all, what is the most likely reason for the calls showing on your bill? That someone made those calls.

Second most likely is actually a billing error, but again the odds of this are remote.

2) someone 'hacked' the cab you're in, and used your line to make a call - (workmen and other people with access are known to do this :S).

Why would someone go to the trouble of hacking a cabinet and only make 2 very short calls to 118118?

You really think someone would go to the trouble of hacking a cab and only calling 118118? You may be right but I doubt it..

Well if it were an engineer servicing or testing the line for whatever reason, it wouldn't exactly be hacking, and let's face it, some people do have a bit of a warped sense of humour.

But yes, it's purely conjecture on my part...

Why would someone go to the trouble of hacking a cabinet and only make 2 very short calls to 118118?

i'm not saying they would for that reason...

I was just listing the remaining possibilities for the OP, but if an engineer was working within the cabinet, they may have... it's been known before...

contact BT, ask them to track if the cabinet was opened that day, and who did it at that time etc.....

another option, is to contact 118118 (drop an email, send a letter) explaining your reasons why it couldn't have been from your phone, send a copy of the bit on your bill you posted on here, and ask them to check if it was your number that called, and what they enquired about (knowing what number whoever called asked for could be a clue as to who it was)

It was a strawman. I 'struggle' in communicating with neurotypicals, not in dealing with logic.

Post my autism diagnosis, I had my IQ extensively tested in a process lasting several hours, and, when it comes to the elements concerned with rationality/logic, my percentiles where mainly in the 99%-99.9% range, placing me, when it comes to rationality/logic, in the top 1 in a hundred, to the top 1 in a 1000 range.

---------- Post added 06-01-2016 at 11:01 ----------

It's not 'hard work' to rip people off- it's the easy way out.

I also, like you, expect many (not all, there are still some business people with ethics) businesses to take advantage and use deceit to extract as much money as they can from the naive/elderly/busy public. Unlike you, I do consider it immoral, but then again, I'm not an apologist for the status quo

Thanks for reminding me how clever you are, it's been a few weeks since the last time you told me how clever you were, and there was a small chance that I had forgotten. Although it seems that your superior logical rationality has taken a day off because I never said that it was hard work to rip people off.

Once again, just incase you missed it I have said that 118118 and other direct line services are really expensive for what they offer, and I'd never consider using them in a million years. I've also described them as being amoral, so I don't know how you logically concluded that I was apologising for the status quo.

I guess we'll also have to disagree whether me asking you you opinion on other expensive goods and services is a strawman or a simple question asked in an effort to better understand you position, because I don't think that we'll never agree.

Once again, just incase you missed it I have said that 118118 and other direct line services are really expensive for what they offer, and I'd never consider using them in a million years. I've also described them as being amoral, so I don't know how you logically concluded that I was apologising for the status quo.

When it's actually 'immoral'- charging £5+ per call in such a sly way is immoral. Substituting 'amoral' for 'immoral' is a standard ploy of apologists.

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 10:11 ----------

TAlthough it seems that your superior logical rationality has taken a day off because I never said that it was hard work to rip people off.

I think where we differ is that I expect private business to work hard to take as much money off me as possible,

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 10:12 ----------

I guess we'll also have to disagree whether me asking you you opinion on other expensive goods and services is a strawman or a simple question asked in an effort to better understand you position, because I don't think that we'll never agree.

"Ever" might work better there? Edited by onewheeldave

When it's actually 'immoral'- charging £5+ per call in such a sly way is immoral. Substituting 'amoral' for 'immoral' is a standard ploy of apologists.

Not at all. A business can have no morals, they exist purely to make money. They are an entity, only a person can have morals. If a business is operating within the law then they can only be described as a-moral if they are doing something 'dubious'.

Don't use the usage of that term for someone condoning their actions, as I really don't think JFK is saying that at all and neither am I, but the law should be changed to prohibit this. Perhaps a 'free' recorded message saying this call will cost you a minimum of £5 press 1 to accept that, before connecting you?