Terrorists occupy Govt buildings in US

What makes it sound like terrorism?

I don't know much about this case,and I'm not all that interested to be honest, but it does worry me, as a general point, that any form of protest is starting to be known as 'terrorism.'

I've heard it used to describe some of the London protesters on the news, the word 'terrorist' just dropped in quite casually.

'Terrorist' comes with all sorts of connotations, and assumptions. The most obvious being that a terrorist is automatically an enemy of the state, and violent.

Language is a powerful weapon. A protester is not a terrorist, and not every act of dissent is an act of terrorism. Let's keep that clear.

-Because we all know what happens to terrorists...

I don't know much about this case,and I'm not all that interested to be honest, but it does worry me, as a general point, that any form of protest is starting to be known as 'terrorism.'

I've heard it used to describe some of the London protesters on the news, the word 'terrorist' just dropped in quite casually.

'Terrorist' comes with all sorts of connotations, and assumptions. The most obvious being that a terrorist is automatically an enemy of the state, and violent.

Language is a powerful weapon. A protester is not a terrorist, and not every act of dissent is an act of terrorism. Let's keep that clear.

I think the heavily armed bit gave it away.

I was making a more general point.

It seems that anyone giving the police a bit of lip or aggro is now a 'terrorist' suspect, and different laws apply.

More creeping authoritarianism by the state..? Very dangerous.

Just saying...

I was making a more general point.

It seems that anyone giving the police a bit of lip or aggro is now a 'terrorist' suspect, and different laws apply.

More creeping authoritarianism by the state..? Very dangerous.

Just saying...

This is not new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Wolfgang#2005_Labour_conference_incident

My impression is that if anything the abuse of terrorism laws had reduced of late.

Well that is my reason for asking. It seems some who fail to look up what a terrorist is, will smart at people like this not being labelled thus.

The only similarity between these hillbillies and the terrorists we see on our news reports each day is they both have guns and beards.

Whatever is happening in the USA with these men is not terrorists, be they white, black or green for that matter and this is why I asked the OP (who has failed to reply) what is their political aims. If he is so certain of their terroristic traits, he must be in possession of this information otherwise he is just making a wild accusation without any basis.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 22:09 ----------

They could own a scud missile and they would still not be terrorists.

Edited by Berberis

Well that is my reason for asking. It seems some who fail to look up what a terrorist is, will smart at people like this not being labelled thus.

The only similarity between these hillbillies and the terrorists we see on our news reports each day is they both have guns and beards.

Whatever is happening in the USA with these men is not terrorism, be they white, black or green for that matter and this is why I asked the OP (who has failed to reply) what is their political aims. If he is so certain of their terroristic traits, he must be in possession of this information otherwise he is just making a wild accusation without any basis.

---------- Post added 06-02-2016 at 22:09 ----------

They could own a scud missile and they would still not be terrorists.

so terrorising people is not terrorism? :suspect:

OED:

The unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims

So basically the use of violence or the threat of violence for political purposes by non-state actors.

So if I point a gun at somebody and demand their money, I'm just a criminal. If I point a gun at somebody and tell them to vote for the monster raving looney party, I'm a terrorist.

OED:

So basically the use of violence or the threat of violence for political purposes by non-state actors.

So if I point a gun at somebody and demand their money, I'm just a criminal. If I point a gun at somebody and tell them to vote for the monster raving looney party, I'm a terrorist.

All Americans can carry arms. Were these people pointing guns at people? Or is that just what the media says.

Didn't they say the same (repeatedly) about John Charles de menezes?

All Americans can carry arms. Were these people pointing guns at people? Or is that just what the media says.

Didn't they say the same (repeatedly) about John Charles de menezes?

If Black lives matter organised an armed sit in at a government building, the national guard would be brought in and people would die.

Tell me I'm wrong.