Gold label down again

A mate of ours used to sup pints of barley wine and lime in Sheffield arms ?

Its got to be coz,he is still a greedy pig ,only its whisky and lemon now.With the amount of medication he's on its a wonder he's not exploded yet.As for carrying him,you must go up to see him,fat ******* now,the hang glider can't take the weight now,he is on about buying a plane.

In the 60's I remember Worthington White Shield and Bass Red Label half pint bottles as being quite strong. Working in Preston, in 1975 I sampled Boddingtons Winter Brew on draught. About 8% I think and you could only buy it by the half pint.

I worked with an old boilerman/securityman--- who could drink whilst on duty whilst at Tennents but gold label was off limits---neverthrless a couple of bottles slipped down their welly,s managered to overcome this problem as they walked stiff legged back to the boilerhouse --- Getting back to my original posting about the strength I remember it being in the Guinness book of records as the worlds strongest beer----this would have been in the very early editions (60.s)----cheers again

I also remember Gold Label being in the Guinness Book of Records. I think that later on a German beer was shown there as the world's strongest. Maybe the breweries tried to "outdo" each other.

I like the story, Hillsbro! My own dad was fond of a drop of Gold Label but he didn't usually drink it in pints. :)

order a pint,sup half add one Barley wine = Happy
I did that one night 27 years ago....after 3 or 4 I was hammered :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 15:53 ----------

I used to love Gold Label Barley Wine in the early 90s. I knew the strength used to be higher back then but I thought it was 11.5%?

Grinning now as I remember the wording on those small cans 'Very Strong Special Beer' which was so enticing back in the day! Mind you it did actually taste nice.

I do remember when it was sold in pubs in those strange size little bottles which I suppose haven't been available in a pub for years now.

I was selling them in my old pub a couple of years ago..

Harold Burkinshaw was the Head Brewer and the most feared person I knew in my 40 years at Whitbread. He was responsible for "inventing" Gold Label.

The advert used to say ....(strong as a double scotch and half the price).

Whitbread had their own version namely Final Selection and on the label it read.....Discretion should be used when consuming this bottle due to the high alchol content. Ironically it was never as strong as Gold Label.

Both drinks were sold in "nip" bottles ie. a 1/3rd of a pint.

Harold Burkinshaw was the Head Brewer and the most feared person I knew in my 40 years at Whitbread. He was responsible for "inventing" Gold Label.

The advert used to say ....(strong as a double scotch and half the price).

Whitbread had their own version namely Final Selection and on the label it read.....Discretion should be used when consuming this bottle due to the high alchol content. Ironically it was never as strong as Gold Label.

Both drinks were sold in "nip" bottles ie. a 1/3rd of a pint.

What was the difference between ' Final Selection ' and 'Gold Label' Barley Wines, (wine ?), Were they both Tennant-(Whitbread) products ?

I did that one night 27 years ago....after 3 or 4 I was hammered :hihi:

---------- Post added 07-01-2016 at 15:53 ----------

[/b]

I was selling them in my old pub a couple of years ago..

Bet those bottles would be collectable now - full or empty.

Why was the strength reduced from over 10% to the current (7.5%?)?

Bet those bottles would be collectable now - full or empty.

Why was the strength reduced from over 10% to the current (7.5%?)?

Like everything else, surely you have noticed food in smaller packages for the same price, as before, The consumer is being screwed as usual.