Sheffield's post war Prefabs

Trekker

hi all, When I wes a kid I used to live in a pebbled prefab on Sky Edge, I've been trying for a long time now to find a photo/picture of one, I've looked on picturesheffield.com but have not found one of this type. :help:

hi all, When I wes a kid I used to live in a pebbled prefab on Sky Edge, I've been trying for a long time now to find a photo/picture of one, I've looked on picturesheffield.com but have not found one of this type. :help:

My Gran still lives in one! There are a fair few on her road in Aston.

I worked on the very first pre fab that came to Sheffied, I can remember all of us sat on the brick foundation on South st waiting, and when the lorry turned the corner we all cheered, but we was not cheering 6 weeks later after promises of big bonuses we got 3/6! the site managers van was nearly turned over, the firm Vernon Dunk of Barnsley sent us all to Totley and Dore with further false promises. Arthur.

I worked on the very first pre fab that came to Sheffied, I can remember all of us sat on the brick foundation on South st waiting, and when the lorry turned the corner we all cheered, but we was not cheering 6 weeks later after promises of big bonuses we got 3/6! the site managers van was nearly turned over, the firm Vernon Dunk of Barnsley sent us all to Totley and Dore with further false promises. Arthur.

This is fairly good

http://www.ourselvesourplace.org.uk/ps-fl-1-2-2.php

I spent the first 6 years of my life living in a prefab at the top of Hinde Street. I do have a few pics of family that include the prefab. Can arrange to meet up to show you if you're interested.

thanks mslotus, but being badly disabled stops my gettin out

An aunt of mine lived in one at Algar Place Arbourthorne, she moved in around 1945, I used to visit her a lot they were lovely cosy homes, very well designed fitted kitchen two bedrooms each with built in wardrobes, seperate bathroom and toilet, a nice entrance hall also with fitted cupboards. unfortunately the prefabs were very badly damaged in the 1962 gales and had to be demolished.

Archived