Sheffield's post war Prefabs

Trekker

I remember the pre fabs on the wensley estate my aunt used to live in one I must say for the age they wee built in it was all mod cons all on one level .I used to go there every saturday to see her and it was so different to the 2 up 2 down toilet in the yard back to back terraced houses I lived in.

Blooming eck the ones at the top right hand corner is about where my aunt lived .lolol I remember there back garden faced wincobank hill where we used to run up to the gunstand passing the football pitch on our way there we could see for miles and miles .In the summer the days seemed to be endless and my friends and I used to do what they called back then rolly pollies all the way down ,how we squealwd with laughter as we got to the bottom we`d pick ourselfs up and back up we went for another go at roly poly lololol ,gawd those were the days when fun cost nothing and we seemed to make things out of nothing that kept us entertained all day.

Haven't read all the posts yet, but i vaguely remember Germans building prefabs in the wooded area past the bottom of our garden on Herris road, I often wondered why they didn't just run away, that was late 40s/50s, they could have just walked through our garden gate at any time.

Haven't read all the posts yet, but i vaguely remember Germans building prefabs in the wooded area past the bottom of our garden on Herris road, I often wondered why they didn't just run away, that was late 40s/50s, they could have just walked through our garden gate at any time.

The prefabs were only supposed to be a temp solution to the housing crisis and they stayed for years after .When my aunt was there they were well established by then. they were sooooooooo modern to me had everything fitted in them fireplace bathroom , even down to the cupboard that housed the ironing board lololol and the black and white tiles ion the kitchen floor ,my cousins used to shoot rabbits of the hill behind the prefabs and my uncle would skin them and sell them in his shop poor brer rabbit ,never ate rabbit again after that

Perhaps it was because the war ended in 1945 so I doubt they were still prisoners....

Perhaps it was because the war ended in 1945 so I doubt they were still prisoners....
That's right - from mid-1946 they were allowed out of the camps, but despite no longer being prisoners they were still not allowed to return home. Many of them were put to work on farms etc. as well as building prefabs. Most had returned home by mid-1948 but some of them settled in Britain (an orderly at Lodge Moor Hospital was one such ex-p.o.w. whom I knew).

Archived