Sheffield's post war Prefabs

Trekker

Yes, I wonder I thought they were Germans , must have been childrens gossip.:)

You're right poppins, I worked with a german bloke here in Oz that was at the Lodge Moor camp in the 40's, he told me that they used to go out to work, then go to the 3 Merry Lad's pub socializing after.

1946 when we moved into our prefab on the Arbourthorne, Algar Place, and they were still finishing off the ones on Algar Drive.

Somebody said there were Germans on that job I don't remember seeing any, but then that doesn't mean they weren't ..

My Father had been a prisoner of war in Europe but he'd been back home 6/8 months when we moved into the prefab...

Didn't they have big yellow circles sown onto the back of their uniforms ?

Thanks for those PT. What a change. I lived on Hollybank Close. Houses in that neighbourhood look like well maintained 2 story semis. Privately owned I'm thinking (?)

My aunt, when she was first married, and while my cousin was a tot, lived on the Hollybank prefabs, until about 1966/7 when she and my uncle got a bright shiny new place, on Hyde Park Flats, about 15 stories up. (*gulp*) I believe it was shortly after this, those prefabs, which survived the 1962 gales "went".

What I remember about them, was the funny taps coming out of the wall above the bath, and the way the floor bounced up and down like a sprung dance floor when you walked across it.

I always felt slightly seasick when visiting my aunt's prefab. Something which I thought was by far and away preferable to the sheer terror I always felt when we visited her in subsequent times, in the flat at HPF.

My cousin was mischievous. She would entice me to climb up onto the top bunk of the bunk beds, which was level with the windows, and take great delight in terrifying me by making the bed swing back and forth. I hate heights with a vengeance to this day.

hi plain talker i agree with trekker , its definetly in my opinion skye edge ave, looking at the building at the bottom right its the old playground shed and little office at the side where mr ryan used to keep his tools and stuff , the layout of the avenue is altered with the way the photo has been zoomed, making things appear closer, the landscape in the background is again in my opinion the old quarry hills, still there now, also i can remember the fence they put up to keep folk out, didn,t work.

if you look closely you can see the jennels that went down to the back prefabs..................................ron

you gippo......its berlin after the war,your brother asked us to set you up,he says you would agree to anything.....looks like he was right.

My aunt, when she was first married, and while my cousin was a tot, lived on the Hollybank prefabs, until about 1966/7 when she and my uncle got a bright shiny new place, on Hyde Park Flats, about 15 stories up. (*gulp*) I believe it was shortly after this, those prefabs, which survived the 1962 gales "went".

What I remember about them, was the funny taps coming out of the wall above the bath, and the way the floor bounced up and down like a sprung dance floor when you walked across it.

I always felt slightly seasick when visiting my aunt's prefab. Something which I thought was by far and away preferable to the sheer terror I always felt when we visited her in subsequent times, in the flat at HPF.

My cousin was mischievous. She would entice me to climb up onto the top bunk of the bunk beds, which was level with the windows, and take great delight in terrifying me by making the bed swing back and forth. I hate heights with a vengeance to this day.

Hollybank Close 63/4. I boarded there. Wonderful couple by the name of George & Marjorie Ball. Don't remember too much of note about the prefab itself except that it was cozy. But in those days I played a trumpet and used to practice in my bedroom in the prefab. Those walls were paper thin so I might as well have been out in the open air. Could be heard from all around. :hihi:

Archived