Sheffield Cathedral Baptisms ?

It's not as strange as you think so maybe no exception. My mother who's 90 next month was Baptised at Sheffield Cathedral, her family were a "working class" family, her father being a "dry stone fork grinder". At the time of her Baptism mum's family lived in Heeley where there's a church but, she and her siblings were Baptised at Sheffield Cathedral.

I share the same experience as Duffems.

Born in Heeley to a working class "fitter" father.

Baptized for some reason in the same place as the Dukes of Norfolk and the Shrewsburys, in the majestic (for Sheffield) Sheffield Cathedral!

I share the same experience as Duffems.

Born in Heeley to a working class "fitter" father.

Baptized for some reason in the same place as the Dukes of Norfolk and the Shrewsburys, in the majestic (for Sheffield) Sheffield Cathedral!

The Dukes of Norfolk are historically a Catholic recusant family, so I doubt that they were baptised in Sheffield Cathedral.

Whitehorses,

The Cathedral was originally the Parish Church of Sheffield, and the earlier the baptism, the more likely it would have been there. Small, local churches (called chapels of ease) were built so that families didn't have to get to the city centre.

The Cathedral records are very good, I have successfully researched a family almost back to the Civil War.

Hope this helps.

leanda46

I was baptised at Sheffield Cathedral in 1959 but my two older sisters and brother were baptised at St. Leonards in Southey Green.

The reason for this was because one of the godparents my parents chose was a divorcee and the Vicar at St. Leonard's didn't agree with divorce. They obviously sought out further advice and I was christened in the Cathedral without any problems.